Top 10% of Americans enjoy an average of 74 alcoholic drinks per week

Most I ever did was 3 beers a night for 14 days straight. ABV ranging between 4 and 11%. It was too much like work to go to the bar every night.

10 a day would not only kill me but i’d be poor (even buying by the bottle rather than a bar).

I do question what a “drink” is in this. and was it self reporting.

3 Likes

If it was self reporting then 74 is low.

2 Likes

Previously:

Looking at the source text, it’s a “standard drink”. Which in the US is 17.7 ml of pure alcohol-- 12 oz of weak beer, 5 oz of pre-fruit bomb era wine, 1.5 oz of diluted whiskey (5 abv, 12.5 abv, 40abv)

2 Likes

It’s a teetotalling conspiracy! A sixpack or two a month will get you 70 percent of the way down the road to perdition

1 Like

Drink Responsibly?

7 Likes

Just the thought of 74 drinks in a week is making me woozy.

Never in my bingingest, drunkest weeks would I ever have contemplated imbibing that much alcohol.

14 Likes

My brother who fits this level drinks vodka. Been there for 30 years, raised a lovely family & did well in business. Scary - but his constitution has held up. Surprisingly.

4 Likes

My dad’s an alcoholic. This does not surprise me in the least. He used to drink a half a fifth every day. I’m not sure what he’s up to now. People who are alcoholics have REALLY high tolerances for alcohol. If I drank half a fifth, I wouldn’t be able to function the next day. Dad, he can’t function without it.

10 Likes

I remember penny a beer night. Almost.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Most people’s nervous systems would shut down and say hello to Amy winehouse. I could discuss this topic at nauseating length, but not in public. So I shall recuse myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Man, stuck in the 99% again.

12 Likes

Lately I am pretty much done and feeling buzzed with one cocktail. I can’t imagine drinking 10+ drinks a day.

5 Likes

From first-hand experience I’m going to guess is that there is an overrepresentation of ex-military in the top end of that distribution.

3 Likes

There are worse habits

8 Likes

The headline says they ENJOY an average of 74 alcoholic drinks per week. They obviously aren’t talking about PBR.

20 Likes

750ml of 40% alcohol can be bought for about $10 if you’re not picky. A standard drink is defined as 44 ml of 40% alcohol in the US. That means you get 17 drinks for $10, or 59 cents per drink. Being an alcoholic is actually pretty affordable.

7 Likes

To be fair, those are standardized drinks. Your cocktail might be made with two or three ounces of 100 proof liquor, instead of the standard 1.5 ounces of 80 proof.

2 Likes

Over achievers.

1 Like