Top Boeing pilot indicted over 737 MAX scandal

Originally published at: Top Boeing pilot indicted over 737 MAX scandal | Boing Boing

5 Likes

download (23)

5 Likes

Ah, the “loan gunman theory”, should fly with the vast majority of Americans.

3 Likes

Capitalism is the best if you can just ignore there is nothing wrong with capitalism.

5 Likes

I can’t believe I’m the only one to say/ask this! Who is going to protect companies from these rogue employees??? First they try to take down Volkswagen… and now Boeing!!!

in case it’s not obvious…

/s

7 Likes

Capitalism pushed with the “If all you have is a hammer” theory is the best capitalism!

It solves some problems really well, so it must solve all problems really well!!! Right guys!!! Riiiiight???

4 Likes

Sigh. Boeing used to be run by and large by engineers that had been promoted to management. But this is what happens when the money people are put in charge.

8 Likes

Paywalled but you get the idea. The FAA and Boeing are tied at the hip. There is no way that this one guy is the guilty one.

The FAA is being used by Boeing to get airplanes on the market fast, get as many in the air as possible and to enable airports to perform a constant outflow and inflow of flights at all costs, safety, noise and air pollution be damned.

11 Likes

“Prosecutors can and should find quite a few other people who were also responsible for causing the crashes.”

Unfortunately, those other people are executives who (unlike Forkner) are sheltered in every way possible by Boeing’s massive legal department and by the lobbying arm, and therefore…

7 Likes

No argument here, but our engineers (all being non-unionized) learned a few things about Boeing (unionized) engineers when Seattle acquired our division in 1996… one being the seeming universal unhappiness of Boeing engineers back then. Phil Condit was running Boeing at that time (and for several years after); he came up as an engineer and had a substantial and enviable background as such. The acquisition rewarded us with unpleasant attitudes and earfuls from some of our Boeing counterparts. Why: 1) They felt that our division was supplanting and checking their own efforts (as if we had a choice); and 2) they were resentful of our non-union status as it related to the treatment they received back in Seattle. Where our division enjoyed excellent benefits, retirement packages, and profit-sharing (the smart way to attract and keep employees), our counterparts were locked into apparently lesser packages that could not be easily – if at all – negotiated out of. Again, Condit was head man then and running the show. He must have known of the poor morale of his engineers, and (having once been an engineer himself) had some empathy for them, and yet…

Me? Even after working face-to-face with visiting engineers from Seattle and hearing it all, I’d “get” to hear it all again in our follow-up phone calls. During one of the visits, two smiling, Seattle engineers I was working with inveigled their way into my cubicle on their last week here, ostensibly to admire the vintage Boeing Company enameled sign hanging on my wall. As if I wasn’t there, they conversed on the issue of I actually having a Boeing sign, and that it should come down. As soon as they left my cubicle, I took it down and locked it up in my desk for the time being. Thank you, Mr. Condit.

5 Likes

I’m trying to understand the difference between Boeing upper management getting off untouched and the financial companies that crashed the world’s economy in 2008 with only a single branch manager actually charged.

Isn’t this essentially the way the system is supposed to work? After all, what are flunkies for if not to take bullets for their betters?

3 Likes

America, home of the best Justice money can buy. Pilots apparently can’t afford justice as good as the Executives.

3 Likes

You forgot to mention the rogue teller at Wells Fargo that opened a dozen accounts for all of us!

5 Likes

(Additional technical background and links.)

2 Likes

yeah, cause it was the pilot and not the board of the company. sounds like your comment moderation over here at boing-skymall-boing. maybe you should keep the awful and eye-painful appearance and start shilling for fast food again, like back when this was boing-mcdonalds-boing.

next time you could at least reference a site with information about the members of boeing’s board instead of hoping your readers will do so.

" Here’s a timeline of events so far:
#Oct. 29, 2018 "

quoted from: Timeline: Boeing 737 Max jetliner crashes and aftermath - Chicago Tribune

see also: History of Boeing - Wikipedia

You want fries with that timeline? I hear Boeing likes ‘em crispy. Burnt even. You know, for profit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.