Toto on a koto: Africa performed with traditional Japanese instrument

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/07/toto-on-a-koto-africa-perform.html

For hard core lovers of Africa I would like to recommend a recent Norflax Oxdun Sidetower which is one of the most annoying/funny things I have ever heard. P.A.R.T.Y. indeed.

Is it just me? I hate this fucking song. So it’s just me then…

Bless the rains

Its severe overplay in the early 80’s and the kitsch factor for 80’s cheese make it a perfect storm of “I can’t stand this shit anymore”.

It has the worst lyric ever
“As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti”

I don’t know if I hate it, but this certainly feels like a waste of those instruments and the talent of the women playing them.
Hmm, I guess I do hate the song.

Count me on the side of “amused about the resurgence, and tickled by the creativity.” This version was lovely AND nicely punny!

“Those instruments”

Am I the only one annoyed by the steel drum? All kimonos in a traditional wood building, koto, shamisen, fucking steel drum? Why not a damn tuba?

Yeah, it’s not exactly a kane. Though I have to say, if they had used a tuba, that probably would have improved things.

Here’s a better piece of music on a similar instrument.

The first time I actually heard the song, and that lyric, I thought “seriously, you have got to be shitting me!”

I heard / read an interview somewhere where the guys in the band said that “Africa” was just supposed to be a throw-away track on the album, so they didn’t take it seriously, and dumped it oddball lyrics like that just to fill it in.

I’m happy to see the Frog Leap Studios metal cover of “Africa” on that list. I am quite fond of that one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.