Tour of an insanely expensive supermarket in Barrow, Alaska where 1/2 a watermelon is $37

My argument. A picture of shit is not actually shit. I rest my case.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, at quick glance, I couldn’t tell the difference.

2 Likes

Hey, even with my post, I still have second thoughts.

2 Likes

But look how cheap bowhead whale is there, compared to where you live.

5 Likes

Have a safe trip, and post a couple of pics here, please!

1 Like

Things like this give me some sort of sense what living on an alien world might be like.

1 Like

“Damn it, I moved from Santa Carla to get away from vampires!”

5 Likes

Those container ships are American-built, American-owned, crewed by US citizens or permanent residents, and American-flagged? (Required for the Jones Act.)

That’s rare. And expensive to operate.

According to John Frittelli’s 2014 analysis for the Congressional Research Service, it costs about twice as much to operate a ship complying with the Jones Act as a typical ship used for international cargo.

1 Like

Yeah, well, just wait until those rural Alaskans find out what a pound of Narwhal blubber costs in Ohio.

5 Likes

Salmon is waaay cheaper up there than the midwest. So much so a coworker had some shipped down from a King he caught.

2 Likes

You generally don’t want to bury anything that you don’t want frozen in permafrost. If you were to heat that underground operation, it would melt the soil that it is in which would become unstable. My guess is that unless the structure was very heavy, it would float to the surface.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. You can tell I live in a place where we don’t have those sorts of issues. :slight_smile:

As far as I am aware, this is true for both the Matson ships serving Hawaii and the TOTE ships serving Alaska and Puerto Rico.

The Jones act is a frequent target of free marketeers and union-bashers, and for that reason alone I would support it. The cost of goods here in Hawaii is certainly high compared to the mainland, but shipping is just a small part of that, and a part I am willing to pay for the reduced likelihood of being cut off from the rest of the world and for knowing that I am supporting people earning a living wage.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.