Tourists in Hawaii drive straight into the ocean after GPS told them to (video)

Originally published at: Tourists in Hawaii drive straight into the ocean after GPS told them to (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Good call on The Office episode, that was exactly what I thought of. I’ll never understand this level of general lack of critical thinking skills that lead folks to fail to question clearly and dangerously incorrect GPS directions, with smiles even.

9 Likes

that car rental agency is gonna be pissed.

2 Likes

Best bit? The windscreen wipers were on. :wink:

3 Likes

I have to wonder about the driver here. Not only does she drive straight down the boat launch but she leaves her window open and sits on the door as if she’s on a boat cruise. It looks like they had a chance of towing it back up the ramp until she forced all the water in her window.

3 Likes

“And if the GPS told all of your friends to drive into the ocean?”

6 Likes

7kjd1t

6 Likes

gps

4 Likes

Several years back I was looking on Google Maps at the extremely rural area surrounding my dad and grandmother’s property. Imagine my surprise to find the wide dirt paths through the woods and fields shown on the map as if they were even remotely viable to most vehicles. These weren’t even at the level of “unimproved dirt surface road,” we’re talking farm paths along the edge of fields, although people did live along them.

Those of us that lived back there drove on them, but we knew the area and what to watch for … such as the creek that flooded during heavy rains. We also knew the risk to our vehicles and who we could ask to bring their tractor when one got stuck or a chainsaw when trees blew over. (That would be my dad, actually.) More importantly, everyone knew each other, at least by sight, and were therefore unlikely to get shot at on purpose.

I really hoped no one ever tried to follow GPS directions that took them on those “roads,” but knowing human nature, I suspect it happened at least a few times. I’ll also note that those paths are no longer shown on Google maps past a certain point! (Also: they have names now?!?)

2 Likes

(Analog horror, viewer discretion is advised)

3 Likes

Maybe it’s their own car, and that’s how they got to Hawaii. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

One fewer car in Hawaii is not exactly a bad thing?

1 Like

Blind GPS-ing does occasionally get you soggy.

Less forgiving when you do it in Alaska -
Man guided by GPS drives off ferry into Whittier harbor (adn.com)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.