Watch a driver ignore other stalled cars and dive right into a flooded road

Originally published at: Watch a driver ignore other stalled cars and dive right into a flooded road | Boing Boing

4 Likes

We Californians are not known for skilled or prudent driving in any conditions involving the phenomenon known as “weather.”

26 Likes

Been there.

ford-the-river

29 Likes

“1153 bullets”? Were you intending to shoot your way to Oregon? :astonished:

13 Likes

I don’t know about comprehensive insurance. In my experience, this kind of unearned confidence comes from an attitude of Personal Exceptionalism (it’s like American Exceptionalism but on a personal scale). “Other cars are stuck but mine wont be because I’m smarter / a better driver / have an awesome expensive vehicle / etc.”

12 Likes

Most likely he is ignorant on the mechanics of the internal combustion engine and doesn’t understand that ingesting water into the orifice meant for air is not going to lead to a positive outcome.

Racism Voting GIF by BabylonBee

4 Likes

That’s how it worked the first time.

15 Likes

I have to take issue with that gif… ignorant just means you don’t know something. I’m (and every human on earth) certainly ignorant of any number of things. If I REFUSE to learn, then that’s closer to stupid, but just not knowing something doesn’t mean I’m stupid.

20 Likes

Sadly, too too true :cry:

I imagine your colonists leaning out the back of their wagon and propelling it forward by shooting their guns.

10 Likes

i see what you did there GIF

10 Likes

I mean when you don’t know how or where your next stop is going to be , yeah. You bring bullets. Bullets = food if need be.

3 Likes

I recall that was my strategy when playing the game. Trying to hunt for food mainly than bring it along. I don’t think that worked out so well.

4 Likes

Did any strategy work? :smile:

“A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.”

I’ll stay back East and make a killing selling supplies to colonists.

22 Likes

If I REFUSE to learn, then that’s closer to stupid

I use the term “aggressive ignorance” for that mindset.

8 Likes

There was a PBS show called Frontier House that had 3 families reenact living in Montana as “pioneers”. One family was white and wealthy and were as obnoxious as you can imagine: bending/breaking the rules when it suited them, etc., but what made me think of this was your comment about relying on animal meat for sustenance. One family, the only Black one, made smart decisions like buying chickens, whereas the privileged family insisted they needed to eat beef daily as the only way to remain healthy. The father actually insisted on a medical examination, because he believed he was wasting away from lack of animal protein (he wasn’t).

End result: that family was determined to be entirely unsuited for frontier life, and would have died if they’d stayed through the winter (the experiment ended in the fall, when snow started). The middle family (I don’t remember anything about them!) were determined to be able to make it through the winter physically, but not psychologically (bullets becoming a different sort of problem). Only the Black family, who understood that augmenting food crops with easy protein like eggs and chicken was the most cost- and labor-effective way to live, was determined to be so well suited to the rigors of frontier life that they would have made it through the winter both physically and mentally sound.

17 Likes

The greatest reality TV show ever was Opposite Worlds where a team with modern facilities competed against a team living in a stone age environment. Winning team of a challenge gets the Modern home. Guess who was rested, fit, and able to attack the challenges and maintain their residence well enough the producers had to mercilessly fuck with the show to finish even 1 season? Bad idea.

3 Likes

If nothing else, the wagon would be lighter when they were done.

4 Likes

There is a lot of flooded roads in Houston. Some spots always flood, so TV crews and tow trucks go there to get in on the action. Sure enough there is always one or more who give it a shot.

5 Likes

If I was an evil bastard, I’d go there and lure in followers with a non-obvious raised intake vehicle.

5 Likes

Two other options are that they just figured “F it, if I’m going fast enough I can make it through before my car stalls.” or they had the same attention to road conditions that LEEROY JENKINS did to their team’s battle plan.

9 Likes