Town official criminally charged for repainting faded crosswalks

Sometimes you either respect The Holy Process, or you get the things done.

For some odd reason I have more respect for the latter.

You can get one online…but not in red.

It is my (perhaps misguided) intent to favorite any well-made Adams reference. Carry your towel with pride, sir.

3 Likes

Use of the wrong paint can render the crosswalks as slippery as ice when wet but hey, boingboing won’t let this potentially mortal danger get in the way of attempting to paint government actions as heavy handed. After all, nobody on a motorcycle could possibly want to try and brake before entering the intersections and causing an accident under these conditions is no reason to condemn the councilman. Oh no… On boingboing it’s always the government that’s the problem.

Was such wrongly behaving paint actually used?

What about some rule-of-thumb that the govt is supposed to act to these classes of issues within x days, and if it does not, a DIY is warranted while the city is kept responsible for such oversights? Would be a motivation to do things in at least a makeshift way in time.

The govt machinery should have a backup to keep it on its toes.

1 Like

Paint that has been tested to not be a danger costs more & isn’t sold generally, so we can assume that this was paint chosen merely for it’s color. In addition, had the councilman used the proper paint he would certainly have said so in his defence and there is no mention of it.

I’m so glad to learn that your local taxes are high enough to give your local authorities the ressources necessary to act on all complaints like this promptly. Do note that your conditions are exceptional & that most local governments are resource constrained.

“Keeping government machinery on it’s toes” == placing traps on the roadways… Yup, I’m on boingboing…

Why not? Wouldn’t it even be cheaper if it was sold generally and made in larger volumes? (I assume hereby that the paint does not contain any grossly limited resource that would multiple its price if twice the amount had to be made.)

The action could be as simple and fast as giving the guy a bucket of the proper paint, instructions, and a go. For a temporary fix, this would be more than enough.

You are probably supposed to somewhat slow down at the crosswalk anyway.

1 Like

Where in the post did bOINGbOING say that anything was a problem? It happened, they wrote about it. How does this make an in-depth editorial?

1 Like

I can see wanting to discourage this, and even making it illegal (if only in some circumstances) in a wrist-slappy kind of way, but the idea of making it a full-on felony (as in the linked older article) is just fucking insane.

3 Likes

I can’t hear the word selectman without immediately thinking of Gilmore Girls.

It is my (perhaps misguided) intent to favorite any reference to a well-made Adams reference. Lemon scented towelettes will be available soon.

2 Likes

Friend of mine worked for the local council, driving a slasher (sort of a big lawnmower, for the bigger jobs). One day he drove past this guy trying to clear a block of land with a domestic lawn mower. It wasn’t going to work so my friend did the job for him in about five minutes then went on his way.

All was well until the grateful ratepayer called the council to praise the good works of their employee…

5 Likes

… and the consequence of that is a drastic increase in slipperiness of the crosswalk when wet, not to mention poor durability and a ghetto looks.

If you’re going to do a job like that it has to be done right.

Presumably, it’s not sold generally because there isn’t enough demand for it with your average Home Depot shopper. Not that many people that aren’t governments who actually need to paint roads. And those who do (private contractors who paint parking lots, etc) presumably know where to buy it when they need it.

I’m guessing you’d probably also need to strip the old paint off first?

I might suggest a way to get back at the town for these indignities…

Just switch a couple of pipes…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.