Toxic Masculinity

This is a thread for discussing toxic masculinity and the effects and consequences thereof.

1 Like

Yikes! I knew Jezebel had problems, but I didn’t know they’d flat out made fun of domestic abuse.

Even if it’s extremely tasteless satire, how has this writer not faced professional consequences?

3 Likes

Another editor slapped a guy when “he told me he thought he had breast cancer.” (Okay, that one made us laugh really hard.)

The fuck? Way to kick someone when they’re down. Literally

5 Likes

I see that Jezebel article is from ‘07, but it does not sound like it would be a nice place to work! Boasting about hitting romantic partners and laughing at their health scares? The lunch room must be so much fun…:pleading_face:

4 Likes

It kinda floored me. That’s why I wonder if it was intended as extremely tasteless satire; not that that makes it okay.

And why I wanted to google what the author had been up to more recently. I can’t say their more recent activity sounded especially redeeming.

That said, I do want to point out that Jezebel has published some good journalism in the past and their decision to give people who make fun of domestic abuse a platform shouldn’t necessarily reflect on those other journalists who haven’t.

6 Likes

Totally. I’m not going to stop reading their good articles. But that one gave me flashbacks to junior high and all the “mean girls.” Gah. I would not feel at home working with the people described in that first article. I hope it’s a small percentage of the overall staff. And even smaller now than when it was published.

4 Likes

Wait, isn’t this a thread on misogyny? Not like, misandry?

Edit: My comment no longer makes sense here, so I’ll add that it was moved here with other comments from the “misogyny” thread.

7 Likes

Misandry is a fallacy, rightly ridiculed as we do in the misandry thread. At the risk of stating the obvious, misogyny is a structural inequity that simply does not exist as misandry.

This comment does a better job than I could of succinctly summarizing why I regard the actual situations made light of as a patriarchal product of toxic masculinity.

So yes, I think it’s misogynistic.

6 Likes

Fun fact: men do get breast cancer. At a tiny percentage of the risk women face, but absolutely not zero. And those who get it often face disbelief and ridicule.

12 Likes

That’s why I was so shocked at the reaction.

5 Likes

richard roundtree is one of the most famous men who had it. he had a double mastectomy and wore a prosthesis for action films afterwards.

8 Likes