Toxic Masculinity

Swam all through HS and college, can’t say I ever saw hazing in any form, other than having to grab a beer for the seniors in college. Of course, swimmers tend towards introverted and anti-social anyways, so I did have that going for me!

9 Likes

Balls are weak. Just look at them funny and they’ll shrivel up in pain. Pussies are so strong that they are meant for entire human beings to pass through them. So why do we say tough men have balls and weak men are pussies? Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

15 Likes

I had never been hazed in any way until I had a job. Yet the student handbooks were full of stuff about hazing and secret societies and other nonsense. Maybe if I had done sports I would have experienced hazing, but the schools I went to were not the kinds of places that had secret societies. It was this weird holdover from the Satanic Panic.

3 Likes

Not Satanic, Greek. Frats are notorious for their odd rituals that often end up with people dying of alcohol poisoning or otherwise injured. Sports teams at least try to remember the people need to be able to play afterwards.

Maybe, but we didn’t have frats in middle school, so their concerns were overblown

2 Likes

I didn’t end up seeing a lot of this behavior in middle or high school either, but college and early career sometimes felt like what often amounted to rituals of cruelty were sort of baked into the system.

9 Likes

20 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.