Toyota factory shutdowns due to "insufficient disk space"

Originally published at: Toyota factory shutdowns due to "insufficient disk space" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I used to work somewhere that did number crunching for Jaguar-Landrover at Longbridge. The software they used had been bodged together over decades. Somewhere in the million-odd lines of codes was a counter that overflowed every once in a while. Rather than attempting to debug the code, the custodians would just wait until the software failed, and rebooted the system.

15 Likes

Happy to lend them some drive space. I’ve got the floppies around here somewhere.

terak_8510_1

11 Likes

“shutdowns due to “insufficient disk space”

Me too, kiddo. Me too.

14 Likes

I love how the data was both deleted AND organised. :wink:

5 Likes

They couldn’t run to their local Costco?

3 Likes

Obligatory:

the it crowd chris odowd GIF

10 Likes

ICL+EDS200+1-1810823648

16 Likes

I’ve still got one of these floating around in the closet somewhere. (SCSI version if I’m not mistaken).

15 Likes

Hey! I’ve got some of those:

And then about 50 feet of a punch-tape program to convert any Gregorian calendar date to Julian (and vice versa, if I recall). Maybe that would help them?

ETA: Image without my reflection.

16 Likes

Apparently the Boeing 787 could shutdown its AC power generators if powered up for 8 months straight. The fix was to “periodically deactivate the electrical system”. Yes, turn it off and on again.

9 Likes

One of the systems I worked on had some weird memory overflow/buffer thing that happened periodically and would lock up the server. Since the company wasn’t going to migrate to a newer version of the server code (system was, well still is 6 years later) being moved to a newer corporate 3rd party solution they opted to just reboot the server every night. Kludge but it worked (and is still working).

5 Likes

Ooh, nice! I was unable to snag any when they closed down the USAF base where I worked with them (Wang VS systems).

4 Likes

The platters are from an old IBM mainframe (maybe a System 360?) that had been sitting in a corner for years because nobody wanted to dismantle it. I take them into elementary school classrooms and get the kids to try to guess what they are as part of a “History Discovery” lesson.

11 Likes

Oh, great: By seeing that map image posted, now I’ve got the Yamada Denki jingle stuck in my head.

1 Like

They fixed it by getting a bigger server.

And maybe they could cool it with Fukushima water. /s

1 Like

I don’t know what’s up with Toyota these days. I still see Toyota new-car dealers with mostly empty lots while all of the other brands have lots full of cars for sale. Somehow, Toyota seems not to have recovered from the Covid supply-chain problems. They sure seem to have lost their way.

I have a punchtape of Carrier landing.

1 Like

This is extra embarrassing when you remember this is the company that literally invented a system where anyone on a production manufacturing line could pull a cord and stop everything if they saw a problem.

Yet nobody apparently listened to the IT department well before this happened.

6 Likes

The prof for my Numerics lecture had a very nice collection of disasters due to bad numerics (mostly rounding errors caused by floating point arithmetic).

One example was the fire guidance computer for a missile defence system deployed in the gulf war. The timing calculations introduced a rounding error of a minuscule fraction of a second which, however, accumulated over runtime, such that after a week or so of continued operation, the fire commands were off by almost a second, such that the defence charges missed their targets, leading to casualties at a US fort. Solution: reboot the fire guidance computer every 48 hours.

Another example concerned a Norwegian oil platform which, due to bad numerics in FEM software, capsized while being towed from port to its destination, resulting in a loss of several million dollars.

8 Likes