Toyota factory shutdowns due to "insufficient disk space"

Patriot missiles. The reason was, iirc, that it was designed for very short runtimes with ultra precise real time systems. Not to be used as a clock.

The system seems to have been successfully updated/implemented m as it took out some “hypersonic” missiles over Ukraine just recently.

5 Likes

Or the dreamliner.

6 Likes

I may have some platters from a WORM drive laying about (write once, read many)

2 Likes

I can see how that would have made you the king of the history department at one point

4 Likes

I should admit that Matt Parker’s “Humble Pi” was where I first learned about the 787’s problem.

3 Likes

Maybe Toyota keeps very good ghost records?

(note, I don’t even know what database they use, and doubt that that was the real problem; but the name seemed too good to ignore.)

2 Likes

Ha! I’m not that old. I got the tape from someone who was removing one of the last reader drives from whatever work they did.

I was considered odd when I loaded the 200 or so African slaves I was studying into Filemaker Pro, and all their demographic data. The department was filled with humanities historians, rather than social science historians, so the idea of using a database for doign social history was kind of weird, especially in the mid-1990s. Putting those people into Filemaker Pro allowed me to make some revealing connections – like the average age at which a human being was assigned a monetary value for the purposes of estate valuation, rather than being considered an attachment to their mother and part of her monetary value. Connected to a few other things, it helped me understand how Spanish law in the Americas understood slave families as legal and financial entities.

6 Likes

Well, the “you” above was meant more like a generic you…
But that is fascinating stuff.

4 Likes

Failure mode of a WORM drive becoming a WORN drive.
(Write Once Read Never.)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.