Toyota reveals butt plug that will improve range of electric vehicles

Originally published at: Toyota reveals butt plug that will improve range of electric vehicles | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I guess there’s a precedent for using that shape flask for displaying material.

From Ali Express: (screenshot because the related items on that page are NSFW)

9 Likes

Putting some pep in your battery’s step alright.

7 Likes

I’m surprised Tesla doesn’t do that. All the clenching from “self-driving” would keep one powered for a while.

8 Likes

electrolytes

It’s what cars crave!™

16 Likes

Is that plug J1772 or CHAdeMO compatible? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

Whatever happened to science articles using beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks?

10 Likes

Fun?

3 Likes

Maybe the plug is intended as a subtle reminder that their EVs produce no exhaust.

8 Likes

This might be a fairly standard display container for samples, but someone at Toyota PR knew what they were doing - and deserve a raise, as this story is getting tons of coverage that it otherwise wouldn’t have.

11 Likes

“What? Oh no no - that’s not what we meant” :wink:

3 Likes

Pro: the interface is easy to understand and install effectively.

Con: the folks at Autozone are still going to tell me “sorry sir, I’m fine putting this in for you but my manager has told me that I’m not allowed to do that for customers anymore.”

7 Likes

I get the “futuristic” application of the flared base. Nothing says “Buck Rogers” like that shape does.

I guess my questions would be: Will users be able to use non-petroleum-based products to insert it in their…vehicles…themselves? Water-based lube? A simple plug-in? Is this mileage-extender silicon based? I can’t tell by just eyeballin’ it. We want to be careful and environmentally friendly, after all…No need for a second party to install? Is there a gauge or do you just “feel full”?

I’ll take my answers off the air, thanks.

3 Likes

Brings a whole new meaning to the term “plug-in”.

(Or is that a hole new meaning?)

4 Likes

Everyone is already familiar with what a container of salt looks like. They didn’t need a display at all.

The only reason to make any display is to have fun with it. And I have no doubt someone at Toyota had fun with this display

2 Likes

The future we were promised is here
200w (4)

1 Like

The standard you’re looking for is ISO 3533:2021.

2 Likes

I’ve had fun once. It was awful.

4 Likes

There is some precedent for a faux pas like this in Japanese marketing. Anyone remember Panasonic’s “internet pecker?”

1 Like

It Has Come To Our Attention That The Toyota Butt Plug Is Actually A Pear-Shaped Boiling Flask

That’s an odd pear, but okay. On the other hand, you usually don’t want things to go pear-shaped.

2 Likes