Trailer for new documentary about The Go-Go's

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/01/trailer-for-new-documentary-ab-3.html

6 Likes

I feel like I just watched a Go-Go’s documentary a little while ago (like, 2009 or something), but I can’t find anything on IMDB. Surely I didn’t imagine it?

1 Like

A long time ago when I was younger, I was so excited to find a vinyl copy of the soundtrack for “Urgh! A Music War” because it had a early rougher version of the Go-Gos on it that I really wanted to hear. Still have that record, and it’s still a great soundtrack.

(and I still have my original copy of Beauty and the Beat now that I think about it…)

8 Likes

There’s a doc, “Then & Now: The Go-Go’s,” on Amazon. They claim it’s from 2018, but I notice they mis-date some of their programming (seemingly to the date when they picked it up, rather than when it was made), so it could be from 2009. Also, I’d be surprised if there weren’t a number of others.

2 Likes

(The rest of Urgh! is also amazing.)

6 Likes

I think I have a copy of “Urgh! A Music War” on VHS somewhere around here. Friends and I watched that tape weekly for a good portion of the high school years.

5 Likes

There’s a DVD now, complete, with the exception of one of the weaker tracks, “Two Little Boys” by Splodgenessabounds.

2 Likes

Urgh is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for reminding me the Go-Go’s were on it, I’d forgotten. Going to have to dig up a copy.

3 Likes

Always gotta heart mentions of Urgh!.

3 Likes

I don’t want to think that “Throw Me A Curve” is almost twenty years old. GAAAAAH.

1 Like

God, that apostrophe in their name kills me every time. WHY?!?

6 Likes

They’re Go’ Go’ Go’ing!

2 Likes

Wow - that’s got to sting, having your track be the only one omitted!

3 Likes

I’ve presumed that it was omitted due to a problem with the music rights. Did Splodge ask for too much money?

1 Like

All I remember of them is “two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please”. I guess it’s still a greater legacy than I’ll leave…

2 Likes

All You Base Are Belong To Go-go’s

@ChuckV Maybe it was the Rolf Harris connection that got “Two Little Boys” pulled from the line-up.

Regarding the Splodgeness version, I’ve heard worse Party Punk Pop tracks.

Seeing Belinda Carlisle always puts me in mind of “Streets of Fire”, one of my favourite films; though that is mainly down to the sets, costumes and Willem Dafoe, who I think has never looked hotter.

1 Like

I dunno, a parody of a song that, in its original version, is in the public domain? I don’t think copyright would be a problem, but performance rights could still be. Or maybe they were just trying to get the DVD’s time below 120 minutes?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.