Train vs bridge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/train-vs-bridge.html

6 Likes

Wonder how tall the train was when it left the station.

3 Likes

Obligatory:

16 Likes

That is a thing of accordioning corrugated beauty.

29 Likes

Autoracks are about 20’ tall.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a title match a video with such perfection.

Kudos, to you.

2 Likes

If this isn’t an analogy for the US Economy over the past few years, I don’t know what is.

12 Likes

Appears to have been located in Memphis Tennessee. Some sort of “switching error” [gormless expression]

4 Likes

Were those cars new?

4 Likes

This video almost needs a meta-counter of damage done in dollars that matches the train speed as it speeds up then slows down.

11 Likes

Looks like the engineer figured out too late that the bridge was not tall enough, not until after 3 or 4 train cars were decapitated. Anyone know if the cargo was okay, or did the top level of SUVs get scraped up in the accordionated roof?

How do you make a logistics error like this?

4 Likes

At the end of the video, we get to see into the top of the railcars, showing many mutilated automobiles.

5 Likes

I can’t match the damage to the roof peeling, though. Maybe they were wrecks being transferred for recycling?

5 Likes

Only new cars are transported from factories on rail cars, as far as I know. Dead cars are typically ground up into bits at the junkyard or by a local metal scrapyard. Here’s a closeup of the last frame, showing the shiny new car with the factory price sticker in the window.

13 Likes

Those appear to be new acronym for those Explorers:
Found
On
Rail
Damaged

6 Likes

Then what did that? The roof buckled up (and is clearly very thin), and there is no debris in the rail car or on the damaged cars.

Yeah, that one is weird, because the damage does not look like it matches the cause, even though , as @nixiebunny says, it appears to have dealer stickers.

These ones clearly match the cause, given their scrape lines all in the same direction:

But some of the others…

Maybe this whole thing was an elaborate insurance fraud. A large number of cars were already totalled from some other non-covered reason, so they loaded them up in this train and made this happen to launder the damage…

9 Likes

What are the odds that the “lumber Jack” from the tree cutting video is also a railroad engineer?

7 Likes

That’ll buff right out.

11 Likes