Transparency - changes to the BBS

I can understand this point of view. But you are all ignoring the fact that you (all) did create that forum (and, hence, fostered the community) which became so important to so many of us. And ending it now is not taking everyone back to that original decision.

Yeah, hence why I didn’t also say the same thing in response to Jason’s post. I get that, but if you cannot even acknowledge how both sides of that exchange made mistakes, then you are failing to meet what I consider the minimum standard for transparency and this is a failed exercise.

I will reiterate, I appreciate your work. I think it has been great both contributing to conversation and helping trim down the discussions from lounge threads from being toxic. I’m a little concerned about how it will work without a semi-public thread, but that’s the new bbs we live in. As someone not very active in regular activities despite reading the threads, my personal habits remain mostly unaffected - but I am also insensed though not surprised at the lack of any empathy demonstrated by the true minority of posters here.

I hate to say it, but this whole thing reminds me of what happened to my college’s radio station. The brought in the staff and told them the morning before they announced it to the world that the station would no longer be on the air from 5am to 7pm, instead the state Public Broadcaster would now be there. The people that made the station what it is were not consulted. Legally, the university president had ever legal right to do what he did. But it took something that had become a much beloved community resource and irrevocable changed it.

I am deeply honored and will try to live up to this responsibility.

This. It’s a bit disheartening that legitimate complaints over the new order have given way to people clamouring for an arrangement of pixels in the form of an inventive title. Does anyone else not give two tits about this? Apart from mel of course. :sunglasses:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Regular Badges

/aside: Did we work for the same college radio station, or did that just happen in a lot of places?

[checks out @politeruin’s badges] Well, okay. Twenty three is the minimum, okay? Now, you know it’s up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Or… well, like @othermichael, for example, has thirty two pieces of flair badges, okay. And a terrific smile.

It’s late and i’m tired but i don’t quite follow, 23 is the minimum what? That i have 23 badges? I wilfully chased one or two of those because the gamification was fun but otherwise i’m not really a badge chaser.

This conceit is a step too far for me. I get what’s trying to be done here, and I was never invested in the whole hierarchy in the first place, but the way this is all going down, and this idea that you are above “us Regulars” and are making the decisions unilaterally, and claiming some kind of persecuted status as a result, is galling. You, the BB owners, and everyone involved with this site has benefitted greatly from our participation. Learn to appreciate your supporters.

Of course!

Sleepy bedtime. :sleeping:

I think I’m not a Reg anymore. I mean, I am. I was. But I’m not now.

Here’s the thing, we could all be a huge financial plus if instead of keeping us at arm’s length, they’d embrace us. Regular’s Hoe Down event for Happy Mutants? Count me in! If someone wanted to make money off it, here’s my wallet.

Cosmic Muffin

If we’re just making our fictional titles up now, I wanna be a DiskoPickle, for my own sense of non-intrusive nostalgia.

The timing is specifically what galls me. If the abolition of the lounge had not been so soon after all the bans and more time had been given to all to process, I wouldn’t have been terribly bothered.

I feel like I’m going to go to hell for liking this, but it did make me laugh. :smiling_imp:

But only for ten years.

So you think that you are worthy of diskopickle, eh?