Transparency - changes to the BBS

I think people are noticing some cognitive dissonance between:

• Instead of “regular” being handed out according to public, algorithmic rulesets based on participation over time, it is now handed out based on private criteria determined at the whims of an individual?

• Instead of communicating in a “lounge” category which is visible to anyone who attains “regular” by the public, algorithmic rules, there is now a group of @regulars who communicate only in hidden PMs?

At least in these two decisions, there seems to be a large scale switch from

Public rules and public communication

to

Private rules and private communication

Which is thematically the opposite of what you’ve been advocating. The title of this topic is “Transparency” and those two decisions seem to be the exact opposite of that.

To be fair, some of the other points, such as

Moderation discussions should be public

is indeed good (well, mostly, there’s a reason you actually want details of the moderation decisions to be behind the scenes) and consistent with the “transparency” title.

And to be clear, I think deciding “there shall be no TL3” is completely fine and something site owners are entitled to do for whatever reason they like. I’m just trying to explain the cognitive dissonance people are experiencing while reading through some of this.

42 Likes