Transparency - changes to the BBS

Yeah, so I read.

But no one will be able to see those comments anymore, from the way I understand it; and that sucks.

Wait.

13 Likes

It already kinda is. Any community once it gets large enough is going to form subgroups. It is what it is. As long as we are all happy mutants I am okay with this for now.

10 Likes

Youā€™re seemingly missing the biggest positive about the #lounge. We donā€™t need moderation there and things that are posted there are not open to the entire world. Anything else posted on the BBS can be easily searched and captured by anybody. All this will do is push more sensitive conversations ā€œundergroundā€ (or somewhere else).

Having a more private place for trusted members has only brought me closer to the community. Yes thereā€™s some specific Members here that arenā€™t as prolific that I wish could be involved but donā€™t have Regular status, but it largely kept the riffraff away as well.

35 Likes

I will miss posting booze/drinking gifs to welcome the new members though.

18 Likes

Is this because Congress voted to sell our info to the highest bidder?

9 Likes

Fuckin A. Yā€™all helped me heaps with my mental fuckery there. Wouldnā€™t posted half the shit I have If Iā€™d know it was being fucking advertised.

Fuck all this shit. :frowning:

28 Likes

Ah, but there will still be Regular badges given out. :slight_smile: Just now itā€™ll be a deliberate process, not something you ā€œstumble intoā€ by meeting some system requirements.

Weā€™ll work out what that will look like over the next few days.

4 Likes

And now, having spoken reasonably, it is time to quote and rant.

So youā€™d rather those invigorating conversations not take place at all? Or, again, be forced into PM-land?

So, one type of conversation is causing you issues in the Lounge, so youā€™re shutting the whole thing down? Wouldnā€™t it just be better to, I donā€™t know, enforce a ā€œNo discussing moderation or administrationā€ rule in the Lounge?

Iā€™m a fan of badges, but what you are giving and what you are taking away are not remotely of equal value.

Again, Iā€™ll give you ā€œadministrative discussions.ā€ But as for the rest - why not? If we split off into a separate instance of Discourse, and only invited the people we liked, it would have about the same effect as having a Lounge - only it would restrict the voices present until it becomes an echo chamber. Having Regular status and Lounge access as something anyone can achieve through commitment to the community is a great filter on harmful people getting in, while allowing a diversity of views and opinions.

Iā€™m not talking about being safe from other peopleā€™s voices and threats. I trust the mods to protect me from those. There are things that Iā€™ve said in the Lounge that I donā€™t want associated with this handle, which I use widely on the Internet.

I donā€™t want to have to take over @Catharsis every time I want to say something private: I want to talk to the people I trust, and I canā€™t think of anyone in the #Lounge that doesnā€™t fit in that category.

38 Likes

Nothing you ever posted privately will be made public.I clarified that above as well.

7 Likes

Also mad respect to @orenwolf for being the guy that takes the brunt of our complaints. Iā€™m sure this wasnā€™t an easy decision but fffffffuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkk!!!

36 Likes

Dude, I like you, but do you internet?

17 Likes

Aint just about keeping private shit private. Its about having a space to put it in the first place.

27 Likes

I second that.

While Iā€™m not at all happy with this decision, I appreciate the transparency, the professionalism, and the modicum of basic respect @orenwolf has extended to the community, just by not talking down to us or auto-deleting any comments he happens to dislike.

Thank you, Ken.

61 Likes

Maybe it is a subtle form of warrant canary. On reflection, that is obviously what it is. If the mods donā€™t respond to this suggestion, or go as far as to deny it, then that will be strong confirmation.

4 Likes

I do. And I hate the vast, vast majority of places you can comment on the internet.

If the only way to have discussions of worth is in private, than a public forum like the BBS cannot succeed.

I understand the concerns and the benefit that having an elite group of members having a ā€œprivate placeā€ to talk provided. But such a private place doesnā€™t further the goals of building a community around Boing Boing. In the end, this is a public place weā€™ve created in an attempt to have civil, respectful conversations in an era where so very, very few of these places still exist on the internet.

I believe, as the Authers do, that there is a great deal of merit in that. That goal is not consistent with the idea of a private, elite area. And I apologize that we created that divide in the first place.

9 Likes

Elseeeeewheeeeere!!!

18 Likes

Seconded. Iā€™m legit fucking pissed off at this, but it ainā€™t personal at Ken.

32 Likes

This is going to sound stupid but Iā€™m so upset about this. I know I mentioned asking for a self ban ā€“ I need to sleep on it. I donā€™t want to do anything rash. I know it seemed arbitrary but sharing with Regulars only was fucking huge.

25 Likes

31 Likes

I think you know some of what this place has done for me, and thatā€™s going away. Iā€™m not happy. I apologize Ken.

25 Likes