Trend: Matchy-matchy mask/apparel combos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/26/trend-matchy-matchy-mask-appa.html

6 Likes

That style of mask is awful. Lacking elastic, those cloth loops make the masks very limiting in who they will comfortably fit. I purchased a few really cool masks of this type and they won’t even fit over my ears.

3 Likes

Also, that jersey fabric may not be a terribly effective mask material; too loose and stretchy.

1 Like

I kinda like this guy’s approach; matching his tie and his mask; he’s used the matching handkerchief square to make the mask;

9 Likes

I make one cut in a rubber band so that it’s a strip, then tie each end to one of the mask loops, and stretch that around behind my head. Saves wear and tear on the ears.

6 Likes

Cyberoptix is a Detroit-based store that makes silk-screened ties, often nerd-themed. They’ve recently started making matching masks.

7 Likes

Pandemic Garanimals? :thinking:

7 Likes

I CAN’T BELIEVE i missed the GARANIMALS JOKE!!

8 Likes

Garanimals? @Skeptic, you are a damned HERO for that reference.

@TheirFeldspars Good tip, I hadn’t thought about that fix.

4 Likes

Yeah, the ones I just received were custom printed, but were single layer fabric and, sadly, nice looking but useless.

3 Likes

I have read (and I can’t remember where, so I can’t give a citation) that of what is available to the layperson, 2 layers of quilting cotton is probably the best choice, with a liner if you want. It’s a fine, closely woven cotton. And it comes in many flattering colours and patterns :smiley:

3 Likes

I wonder if they were meant as, like, a “decorative cover” to wear over a disposable mask?

3 Likes

This is incredibly stupid.
That mask is all wrong.
The lines are vertical.
That shirt has horizonta lines!

4 Likes

There’s precedence.

6ClhiKR

3 Likes

I am not a fan of ear masks in general. All-the-way-around-the-head or bust.

3 Likes

I’m not certain that a mask that goes all the way around your bust is going to be very effective.

@Skeptic I’d not heard of Geranimals before, and a quick image search quickly diverted down the 1970’s Homo-Erotic Rabbithole (the Homo-Erotic Rabbithole is a thing, isn’t it).

4 Likes

Definitely. You can find it on google maps. It’s somewhere between enjoying unfamiliar sensations when watching Greco-Roman wrestling and the Chuck Tingle Glory Hole.

2 Likes

So people are going to be trying on the facemasks in the store? That seems un-smart

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.