Triple-lensed new iPhone "triggering trypophobia"

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that the images that are supposed to be most triggering to trypohobes are either pretty inherently gross, or made that way by manipulating the images somehow. It’s almost like disgusting images are disgusting, without the need to ascribe that disgust to an actual phobia. Huh.

What’s really disgusting is how far the cameras stick out of the phone. Just make the damn phone thicker and give us more battery, dammit.

4 Likes

I’ve always found them to give off an uneasy uncanny valley type of vibe. I remember as a pretty young kid in multiple instances being weirded out by them and even having nightmares about a clown figure that we had at home. So people not liking clowns is something that i would expect some people to naturally have if you exclude pop culture influences.

Fear of holes on the other hand seem more situational, in the sense of “i’m going to show you a list of very uncomfortable, kind of gross pictures of holes in stuff and now it’s suddenly a thing in your mind”. Of course if someone shows me a fucked up picture i’m going to have a reaction to it, but i don’t think it’s normally something people fear. I can think of more examples of something having holes where its aesthetically pleasing.

2 Likes

Next iPhone, with four lenses!

11 Likes

@beschizza

This is a Beschizza post!

WHERE ARE THE MOUTH LENSES?

7 Likes

I really did fear clowns as a little kid because I thought they were born that way. As soon as someone thought to tell me that clowns were people wearing make-up, I was fine with it.

No, I wasn’t the sharpest crayon in the drawer.

3 Likes

@beschizza surely this trypo camera has been featured at BB before?

light L16

10 Likes

over-the-garden-wall-beast-640x353

7 Likes

That’s an excellent question. The iPhone can be really terrible at rendering the texture of a person’s skin.

they should at least put the cameras in a row so we could make lenticular 3d prints! SX466

4 Likes

I too, was reminded of old turret lenses

The wikipedia page states,

Concentration of the glass delusion among the wealthy and educated classes allowed modern scholars to associate it with a wider and better described disorder of scholar’s melancholy.[2]

If it’s wider and better described, then why is this “better description” limited to a single sentence which does not reference a wikipedia article devoted to “scholar’s melancholy”?

1 Like

Three rocks, Griff! Ernie would approve.

I’m not tryptophobic, and even I’m weirdly skeeved out by that pic. Well done, Rob.

4 Likes

These phones seem like a apt metaphor for our surveillance society.

1 Like

…because they have separate lenses for zoom and wide-angle usage?

Lenses…lenses everywhere!

Came for spider picture, left happy.

2 Likes

*iTripod sold separately

9 Likes

Only $999

10 Likes

War of the Worlds. I can just feel the Martians coming for us.

2 Likes