Triple-lensed new iPhone "triggering trypophobia"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/11/triple-lensed-new-iphone-tri.html

7 Likes

I know one guy who loves it.

47 Likes

Trypophobia reminds me of the glass delusion, in which people think they’re made of glass and can’t move lest they shatter. It was unheard of until King Charles VI ‘came down’ with it, and then suddenly it became a trendy malady among the elite in the 16th century. And then it disappeared.

Somehow nobody realized they were horrified by lots of holes, or were disgusted by the word m-o-i-s-t, until the internet told them they should be.

44 Likes

The eyes! So many eyes!

[this was the perfect article for you to write up, @beschizza]

16 Likes

Dear Rob,

can we have the three lenses individually replaced by different (Trump’s? Tim Apple’s?) mouths, pretty please?

Thank you!

8 Likes

I suppose that people were always skeeved out by holes or the word that-starts-with-an-M-but-must-not-be-named but never really brought it up till the internet came along and they found other people were creeped out by it too. I mean, I have always felt the M-word was a little gross but I kinda liked it that way. I like it when words sound like they things they are meant to convey.

6 Likes

It’s the Swiss Cheese edition

11 Likes

The new iPhone shaves as close as a blade, or your money back!

21 Likes

Also another good one i’ve seen today

47 Likes

someone should build a kitchen hob island in the shape of things to come

1 Like

I’m sure we’ll eventually see a shoop for an iPhone that has three Lightning ports where its cameras are supposed to be.

6 Likes
14 Likes

For the love of dog, they just slapped pro on it and the thing doesn’t have USB-C… or thunderbolt3 which would really make it a Pro… imagine walking into your office, you throw your phone down on the desk and the wireless charger starts feeding it juice while the UWB wireless connection already started downloading your email while you walked in, you know you have a ton of heavy lifting to do so you plug in the TB3 dock that contains a eGPU and a FPGA/pDSP that allows you to drive your 8k wraparound screen while you shoop mouths on to eyes or vice versa with your ApplePen3. Next up, debugging your AR docuspace: that CSS error is making all your windows opaque. wtf man wtf

5 Likes

The nice thing about a phobia is that it is, by definition, irrational. So GET OVER IT!!! (triggered yet?)

1 Like

I see. And how do you feel about the word, “grope”?

Let’s freak them out some more and spread the rumor that there’s a new vaccine which prevents trypophobia and all their kids are going to be required to get it.

7 Likes

19 Likes

I’ve always had the same thought about the fear of clowns, which is surprisingly high if the surveys are to be believed. While I don’t doubt there are those who genuinely FEAR clowns, I also think a large percentage of the respondents are more in the “Ha, yes, sure, clowns are soooo creepy and terrifying” jokey camp, and simply piggybacking on the absurdity of it all.

5 Likes

Again I like when the sound of words echos the meaning. I like that “snake” is hissy with a sharp bite at the end. I like that “ring” can sort of trail off like a bell. I like that “smoke” sort of dissolves in to vapor. “Grope” is a fine word but I don’t find it super evocative of the act, in particular. Also I hope I don’t need to say that liking how a word sounds, especially it’s onomatopoetic-ness does not mean I like the action.

4 Likes

It’s a meme in the original (dawkins-coined) meaning!

Or a form of masshysteria. But I gog with meme.

2 Likes