Trippy shots of Asian cities with a fractal lens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/14/trippy-shots-of-asian-cities-w.html

6 Likes

This is consistent with my fuzzy memories of my last trip to Tokyo.

5 Likes

Am I correct in my understanding that these are actually prismatic lenses from a company called Fractals? As opposed to…? I don’t know, really. What would a fractal lens be anyway?

8 Likes

A lens that lets you take pictures that each time it is magnified, shows new photos resembling the original ??

now seriously, I wanted to see this lens …

3 Likes

Enhance! … same picture results

4 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

The less over-the-top ones remind me of a lensbaby.

You_keep_using_that_word

1 Like

I think I visited the manufacturer’s website and found the lens looks like a brass knuckles with a kaleidoscope glued in it.

Taking as an example the photos of the product I saw on this site, it seems strange to use it in front of the original lens. But the photos made with This gadget look cool.

Blurry? Clouds are fractal, and composed of small “lenses”…

2 Likes

I think there is value in using a word to describe something in a descriptive, but not always literal, sense.

For instance, these photographs.

I agree with you there. But these photographs do not look at all fractal, nor do the filters themselves. Fractal does not mean “lots of copies”. It means things like “has a fractional number of dimensions”, “recursive”, “repeats at a smaller scale”.

I know that language is malleable, but when words with a well-defined set of meanings start to blend out into related but incorrect contexts, I think we end up poorer for it.

…or occasionally very amused. A few days ago, I saw a stack of bananas with a sign over them “Organic Bananas”. Nearby, there was a larger, cheaper stack with the sign “Inorganic Bananas”. I think I got nerd-sniped, but maybe it was in earnest.

1 Like

Ha, no. They do.

Ok:

• simile
  • metaphor

Both are components of figurative language.

Better?

Eh, I tried.

2 Likes

I saw “fractal lens” and my brain thought it was “Fresnel lens”, and I wondered how one of those could produce images like that.

2 Likes

Summing up:

• the company that makes/sells them calls them Fractal Filters…
  • … but their website clarifies that they are prism filters
  • you can hold them in your hand!
  • the mounting looks like the filter can double as a knuckleduster
  • set of three for USD 99

Why isn’t this at the Boing Boing Store already?

2 Likes

You can always make your own:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.