Trump administration will require every visitor to the USA to divulge all social media identities

There are international treaties against creating stateless persons.

If they had another citizenship, they might be vulnerable, but it would be quite a legal fight.

Selective enforcement is a given.

3 Likes

Well, there’s that Everett Hale story, and several US presidential administrations have demonstrated trouble distinguishing between fiction and reality. But I think now that US presidents can just drone-murder citizens without consequences, it’d probably be cheaper and more effective to extrajudicially kill people rather than strip them of citizenship.

3 Likes

Does this count Trump’s Russian visitors? Cause I hear some of them have millions of Twitter and Facebook accounts. That could take a while at the airport.

“Wait - I have to list ALL my fake news bots?”

19 Likes

13 Likes

So, the obvious question is; What if you don’t use social media?
I have two friends who travel all over the world, and quite a lot to the US, yet they don’t use any social media other than email, if that even counts.

4 Likes

No, I am Prilosec!

(Sorry, acid reflux post).

14 Likes

I’m not sure about that - I’ve read a number of stories about (white European) people coming to the US as tourists and being turned away because they had said something on Twitter recently that was critical of Trump or joked about doing something absurd but illegal. So it seems like they’re already being checked, albeit probably randomly and with no rigor at all.

That would probably get you banned for rabidly anti-American sentiment.

8 Likes

Oh man… this is going to lead to some awkward, but hilarious interactions…

“Ah, yes I go by TrumpisaGoatRaper on Twitter.”

“No, no, it’s ‘WaterSportsVixxen99’ with two 'X’s”

“‘DankWeed69’? Didn’t we already have that guy come through?”

“No that was ‘DankWeed420’”

17 Likes

I’m thinking he’s going to grow to hate Gorsuch since he’s a 4th Amendment fan. It’ll be hard for Cheetolini to argue against its application when it arises in future cases his DOJ wishes to pursue.

1 Like

You’ve already thought more about this than they did.

6 Likes

Every visitor? And all their social media accounts?

Bahahahaha - They’ll have such fun collecting data from every teenager with 30 different facebook accounts dedicated to playing minigames. And of course, every single one of those accounts will be in some way named after the owner’s genitals.

But seriously, how long do we think it’ll be before Trump’s Twitter block-list also becomes the no-fly list?

10 Likes

Is this story two days too early?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got fingerprints when I was in Japan last time.

1 Like

This is blowing my mind. The non-immigrant (tourist) visa rule anticipates 14,000,000 applicants per year, at 90 minutes’ review per application. So a total of 21 million hours of additional work by agents to get this done. I don’t know if these are visas you get before you travel, or visas you fill in on the plane to be reviewed by customs when you get to the US, but that’s a couple few more agents to be hired!

Immigrant visas are estimated at 710,000 per year, so even though it’s 155 minutes’ review per application on those, it won’t even come to 2 million hours of additional work. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well. If this becomes law, I 'm not visiting the US. Ever. And I guess a lot of other people won’t be, either.

I know some people deactivate all accounts before going to Israel, but please, dear US of A, who was once a shining example for the rest of us, will you please stop trying to find ways to outdo the worst of the worst?

11 Likes

Maybe so, but I know I won’t visit the US if this becomes law.

4 Likes

Well, if it gives you any comfort, the guy who’s in the White House now was not even closely elected by the majority of Americans! Wait, that’s awful.

3 Likes

I’m currently negotiating my new work contract, and I’m trying to get some flexibility into the “family reunion” clause, making it pay for transportation elsewhere besides the US (my putative home) and/or pay for a ticket for someone else, so I can ship a family member to me, rather than personally return to the US.

3 Likes

They only get to enter if the customs officer believes that this is true.

I am not really joking here. Customs officers have the power to let you in or lock you up under the premises that they believe that you falsely refused to declare your social media accounts and send you back home after that. Look it up.

And, btw, please don’t forget to unlock your phone and hand it out to customs officers who will then copy all unlocked passwords, web and search history, calls and sms messages, etc…

I traveled to the USA last summer. I don’t intend to return under these regulations.

1 Like