Trump admits asking Ukraine governnent to "investigate" Bidens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/23/trump-admits-asking-ukraine-go.html

5 Likes

EFF8S23XYAA4HEo

34 Likes

32 Likes

Something that is really bothering me about this is that you don’t extort or bribe people to doing things in good faith. If you are extorting someone to “investigate” something, it goes without saying that you want them to come to your preferred conclusion in their investigation. People keep characterizing this as seeking “political dirt”. This was trying to get a foreign government to prosecute a family member of a political opponent.

People are pretending this is just another thing, maybe because it was always within the realm of what we thought Trump would do. But if this is fair game then the next Democratic president might as well make a deal with China to extradite one of Mitch McConnell’s kids to life imprisonment on a bogus charge in exchange for ending the trade war.

43 Likes

Related to what you are saying:

The characterization of this corrupt nonsense is key.

24 Likes
30 Likes

They need to ask: If the next democratic president presses China to look into your family, will that be okay?

32 Likes

To reiterate-IOKIYAR!

13 Likes

Which goes directly to Biff’s thuggish business practises throughout his life, as imparted to him by his mobbed-up McCarthyite mentor (how’s that for alliteration?) Roy Cohn. To think that he wasn’t continuing those practises with the power of the Oval Office behind him would be the height of naiveté.

17 Likes

To state the obvious it doesn’t matter if the Bidens were up to shady stuff in the Ukraine; there are proper ways to investigate that and this isn’t one of them.

22 Likes

A depressing story in the N.Y. times laid out how I think all of this is going to go down. As long as trump’s party and appointed cronies keep propping him up there may be no legal recourse. 2 reasons. “Executive privilege” and the old Nixon adage about “if the president does it, it’s not illegal”. It’s the reason Muller couldn’t do anything. And if it came down to a Supreme Court decision Trump’s got that court fixed.

I hope I’m wrong. But that seems to be the pattern so far.

I really feel like the only way Trump is gonna get pushed out is through the election.

9 Likes

2016: But her emails!
2020: But the Ukraine!

And, as before, the news media are happily playing along.

To be honest, though, Biden isn’t my preferred candidate, so if this knocks him out of the race and leaves Trump trying to wash off the stink of high treason, I’d count that as a double win.

18 Likes

It’s not treason if republicans do it.

JustBusiness

9 Likes

Pelosi, show you have ovaries & impeach the fucker already.

14 Likes

“It is one thing for a sitting president to break the law. It’s another to let him.”

“The integrity of our democracy isn’t threatened when a president breaks the law. It‘s threatened when we do nothing about it.”

“The GOP’s silence & refusal to act shouldn’t be a surprise. Ours is.” -Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

32 Likes

Came here to post this too

3 Likes

Using millions of dollars of US aid for his own personal gain … yeah, high crimes and misdemeanors.

7 Likes

Jesus Christ - this was what the whole Russian thing was about. He was warned that his answer was wrong when asked hypothetically if he would listen if say Norway had political dirt on an opponent.

He is either THAT stupid, or he thinks his position truly makes him untouchable. It literally makes me chuckle thinking about it.

This HAS to be an impeachable offense.

8 Likes

Yeah, but Republicans aren’t condemning it, the toadies are defending it, fox news is throwing up smoke and Pelosi is saying, “not even this is enough”. Trump is that stupid, but Trump’s position appears to actually be untouchable.

13 Likes

I wish members of the media would bring up the number of email and Benghazi investigations every time members of the GOP start saying the press & public need to move on within a week of each scandal.

8 Likes