Trump and Tim Cook had dinner, Trump says Apple CEO made 'very compelling argument' to help Apple get richer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/trump-tim-cook-bffs.html

2 Likes

Well I don’t like Tim Cook having dinner with a fascist but he’s right that the tariffs are stupid. Of course they’re not just stupid for Apple but for everyone else too

7 Likes

It’s always seemed a little odd that the anti-tax right would be pro-tax (a tariff is a tax) on anything.

2 Likes

Fuckin’ Peter Thiel.

6 Likes

What’s with the headline? Seems more like the story itself is saying Cook made very compelling argument to drop tariffs.

2 Likes

Apple is stupid. Samsung is good.

2 Likes

Only a matter of time before Biff starts claiming he was against tarriffs the whole time. And his mouth-breathing supporters will believe him.

4 Likes

Sending my thoughts and prayers to Apple Corp.

11 Likes

"Most people don’t know this, but we have always been at war with East Asia. It’s hyuge. You know what? Nobody else could start a war with East Asia like I have.

9 Likes

Compelling argument:

Trump, you are great. Tariffs hurt my business. Trump is great, and it would be great if Trump could help my business by removing tariffs. Trump is so great.

9 Likes

What the heck? Samsung products are made in Korea? When they have right next door a repressive communist dictatorship with exploitable slave labor? Obviously THEY haven’t been listening to Tim Cook.

Tariffs against South Korea in 3, 2, 1…

tmg-article_tall

5 Likes

Did Trump call him "Tim Waldorf Salad?’

5 Likes

This is exactly what you would expect any CEO to do when a government tax will increase your component costs by 10%, but not your competitors.

This can’t be the first time this fact was relayed to trump, though - so, what, he just ignored it until now?

I’m betting the process went something like?

• Trump, initially: “Tarriffs! yes US companies will suffer, but then they’ll move production back to the US!”
  • Tim Cook: “Hey so, we’re going to be hit with 10% tarriffs and there is no manufacturing capacity to move our product to the US, even in 5 years time. Meanwhile, Korean competitors would have a 10% cost advantage”
  • Trump: “Hrm.”
7 Likes

There’s also that thing where trump believes whoever he spoke to last. IM sure he’ll take it back after talking to dean hannity on the phone or watching some random talking head on fox today.

4 Likes

Easy solution: have Samsung make Apple’s phones.

3 Likes

the Apple CEO made a “very compelling argument” that Apple may lose its competitive edge to Samsung because of Trump’s tariffs on goods from China.

Trump (assuming he was able to think straight for a few seconds - which is assuming a lot, I know): hmmm, you don’t say. Mental note: call my east Asian stock exchange broker and buy more Samsung.

1 Like

moving production… if only was that simple

An Iphone has hundreds of components manufactured by dozens of companies all over the world with hugely complex logistics and supply chain management systems

The general population has no idea of what goes behind “just in time” manufacturing and how easy is to screw up a delivery if something goes slightly off the rails. They just get mad if amazon misses a promised delivery date.

The only ones that might have a chance to experience the consequences of mass disruption to established logistics are the british if Brexit goes sour, it could easily become a test bed and case study

6 Likes

He lacks “object permanance.” I am always amused when people try to figure out what Trump’s secret agenda is…There’s no THERE in there. Just a yawning void seeking adulation, and the approval he never got as a kid. Largely because he was a terrible human being even then, who would throw rocks at a baby.

3 Likes

Isn’t that what happened with the “national security” steel tariffs?