Trump: Civil War didn't need to happen, could have been "negotiated"

Yeah, that makes sense. Further riches for the simple farmers merely toiling within the norms of their era, and a whiter, more pristine America to boot. A white supremacist wet dream. Disgusting.

5 Likes

Trump once again shows that he is a student of history. Too bad it’s not real history.

10 Likes

From Trump’s perspective?
Not having slavery in all the states in the first place.

4 Likes

This isn’t even his final form yet.

5 Likes

Checkmate, Lincolnites!

screen_shot_2021_03_22_at_83414_pm

4 Likes

Yeah…
I think there was one thing the South did not want to negotiate and that was their “free labor”.

6 Likes

“The South”?
As in “south of the Canadian border”?

8 Likes

What he is actually saying here is that he is a better president than Lincoln but he at least still has enough sense than to say it too explicitly.

Atun Shei is SOOO good. That’s some quality YouTube content right there.

2 Likes

Can I interest you in the next generation of NFTs?

1 Like

Really?

12 Likes

You know what else didn’t need to happen and could have been avoided through negotiation by the President? The January 6th attack on the Capitol.

10 Likes

I repeat then that, by the original compact of Government, the United States had certain rights in Georgia, which have never been relinquished and never will be; that the South began war by seizing forts, arsenals, mints, custom-houses, etc., etc., long before Mr. Lincoln was installed, and before the South had one jot or title of provocation. I myself have seen in Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi, hundreds of thousands of women and children fleeing from your armies and desperadoes, hungry and with bleeding feet. In Memphis, Vicksburg, and Mississippi, we fed thousands upon thousands of families of rebel soldiers left in our hands, and whom we could not see starve. Now that war comes home to you, you feel very different. You depreciate its horrors, but did not feel them when you sent car-loads of soldiers and ammunition, and moulded shells and shot, to carry war into Kentucky and Tennessee, to desolate the homes of hundreds of thousands of good people who only asked to live in peace at their old homes, and under the Government of their inheritance. But these comparisons are idle. I want peace, and believe it (can) only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect and early success.

https://cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/items/show/23

^From a letter General Sherman wrote to the mayor of Atlanta warning him that he’s going to burn their city down

17 Likes

And the continued profiting from slavery in the British empire or the use of slavery under other guises? And the anti-colonial violence that helped bring about the end of that kind of exploitation doesn’t count at all as a “civil war”?

It seems awful weird to be so utterly focused on the American civil war as some sort of odd means of ending exploitative violence, when in most cases, violence played a major role in ending these sorts of exploitative labor practices found around the world under European rule…

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

8 Likes

Aw gee, why didn’t they think of that?

Fucking moron.

7 Likes

That was from the presidential front runner for the Party of Lincoln everyone.

4 Likes

… Cump’s personal version of the “chew bubblegum and kick ass” speech :thinking:

1 Like

Oh please. The only negotiating Cheetolini ever did was negotiating his way to the buffet table.

1 Like

Or negotiating a call girl to marry him.

2 Likes

It’s also like he ignored the fact that there WERE negotiations. Constant and consistent negotiations. The french and english sent negotiators to try to head it off. Many in what became the confederacy operated in good faith in negotiating with the Union, and the Union behaved in kind. Trump’s flip remarks show a lack of knowledge of history. Nobody WANTS to go to war. Especially not just 70 years into the country’s formation. It’s insulting to the people who were tasked with trying to find a way to peace between two belligerents to just insist that they didn’t exist.

Yes, it was the Confederacy’s intransigence and provocations that made war inevitable, but life is complex. There are always peacemakers, and acting like Lincoln (or Davis, for that matter) just decided to up and have the most violent conflict the nation had seen to date for ego purposes is exactly what I’d expect from Trump.

Trump’s hardly a good negotiator. And if really good negotiators and compromise in the political sphere couldn’t get it done, Trump definitely couldn’t.

4 Likes