Trump gives out 20 pardons to Russia inquiry figures, a Blackwater Guard, fellow corrupt politicians, and more

True, It’s like a letter of marque.

This reminds me, before New Year’s Eve I hope to purge all my mentions of tRump and hid retrumpican minions from my social media accounts. ( is there an AI program to help me? )
Though I do not follow him on Twitter, I wonder what happens to his 88.5 million Twitter followers once the hashtag #POTUS is owned by Biden?
This psychopath has less than a month to burn down all those that have not shown loyalty to him.
This nightmare does not stop soon enough, and its repercussions will be felt for decades I fear.

6 Likes

Here you go:

5 Likes

It’s not quite as simple as some folks might be asserting re: the relationship between a pardon and the ability to compel testimony. It makes it a closer argument, but the fact that there are a lot of state criminal statutes still potentially in play (NY has a whole boatload that overlap with federal code) means it isn’t exactly a given that a federal pardon opens the door to compelling sweeping testimony.

I’m not saying those folks won’t be subpoenaed, but sometimes the pontificating about the effect of a pardon or what the 5th amendment provides gets a little ahead of the actual law.

3 Likes

While I agree with your point, it doesn’t change mine, which was that pardons don’t cover new crimes, and perjury would be a new crime.

4 Likes

It’s hard to say how much of a role the money played in the pardon considering that Trump has such an incredible affinity for War Criminals in general.

5 Likes

Totally right, which is why those folks will be relying on 5th amendment protections pretty heavily to avoid having to testify under oath at all. It’s going to be tough to get them maneuvered. Not impossible, but it’s a lot more nuanced than some folks on the internet are portraying it.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Trump is the first President to even KNOW so many people who were in need of a Presidential Pardon. He’s sending these things out like Christmas cards.

7 Likes

How’s that job interview going to go?

Do you have a criminal record?

“I was pardoned by the President.”

Which President?

“Trump.”

Oh. I see.

Maybe better to decline the offer and do the time.

1 Like

We don’t even get that, because they can basically all claim that the possibility of state prosecutions keeps the 5th preserved.

2 Likes
11 Likes

Another upshot is that they are now free to testify against him without worrying about incriminating themselves.

Should they choose to do so, which is an admitted longshot.

1 Like

Also pardons for Hitler, The Zodiac Killer, The SS, Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Satan…

2 Likes

Some will break Twitter’s rules attacking Biden and get themselves banned.
Some will follow Trump to Parler once he gets banned from Twitter about 12:30 PM on January 20th.
Some will unfollow the POTUS account.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.