Trump indictment includes charge that could result in execution if "death results from the acts committed"

I’d like to see all the energy and negotiation for leniency/clemency be between “death” and “long-term imprisonment” rather than “long-term imprisonment” and “full pardon.”

4 Likes

But there’s the problem. As long as he’s living, he’s going to have a megaphone. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Not so sure Hell deserves him, though.

5 Likes

Maybe Hell has a Hell.

5 Likes

I wonder if he’ll pull a Cosby and show up for his trial looking all bedraggled? How does that play with his fans who cosplay him on Rambo’s body?

I’m kinda thinking that he might finally have gotten into a situation he can’t wiggle out of. I certainly hope so. He’s drifted from gift to grift for decades.

4 Likes

His followers will see him playing 3 dimensional checkers and know he’s got it in the bag.

2 Likes

Repeal the death penalty. Even for the orange bastard.

11 Likes

Do you ever hear anything from anyone else incarcerated in ADX Florence (aka Colorado Supermax)? It was designed for the extremely violent inmates, and those at high risk of suicide. But they also use it to house the really high visibility offenders like Aldrich Ames. Poured concrete cells, no roommates, no gen pop exposure, just one hour a day outside by yourself. Very high staff to inmate ratio. If Trump were to be convicted on violations of the Espionage act, or any of the new Smith charges, that would almost certainly be the only place they could keep him safe enough. He’d spend the remaining years of his life there.

7 Likes

don’t think he’s gonna make it to 97 on prison food

3 Likes

If he goes to prison, I want him to live a very long time. Adequate nutrition, health care, whatever it takes to keep him in the cell until he serves as much of his sentence as possible. No, he probably won’t last 20 more years no matter what kind of food or health care he gets. But he deserves every possible minute behind steel doors.

2 Likes

Right, but he’ll still have access to his criminal lawyers – I mean “criminal lawyers”, right?

1 Like

I absolutely oppose the death penalty as well, even for him. That said, I wouldn’t mind him thinking that this might be the outcome of his crimes, even for a second or two.

9 Likes

Worth noting that the “death option” analysis is being floated by Breitbart etc as part of an apparent play to attack the legitimacy of the court. Make the affair seem unserious and dangerous.

The actual legal filings of the special prosecutor have been measured and focused on the achievable. Maybe stick to what he’s saying and doing, rather than the various misdirects from Trumpland.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/where-things-stand-making-a-martyr

14 Likes

Rudy: Good news sir, I’ve been working on an appeal strategy that I truly believe has an excellent chance—
Guard: I said LIGHTS OUT, Giuliani! Get back in your bunk and shut the fuck up!

8 Likes

a vial of Diet Coke.

I’d happily settle for Not President

2 Likes

Don’t tease us like that.

I used to feel that way. I still mostly do. The only exception being for public servants/officials who abuse their positions of authority. Like police officers, judges, and elected leaders like the president. The judge who was taking bribes from the privately owned juvenile detention center to incarcerate more children comes to mind.

Still yeah it’s never going to happen in this instance.

1 Like

Okay then.

2 Likes

And what would executing those people accomplish exactly? Those are largely systemic issues, especially police violence and judges abusing the juvenile court system. Like…your statement about the judge taking bribes from a privately owned detention center isn’t even specific enough because that’s happened multiple times. Executions serve one purpose, as far as I can tell. Retribution. I don’t think that should be the driving force of sentencing.

2 Likes