U.S. reinstates death penalty, AG William Barr orders execution of 5 federal inmates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/25/u-s-reinstates-death-penalty.html

Justice Department says federal government re-starting capital punishment after nearly 2 decades. AG Barr ordered 5 inmates executed ASAP under new policy.

12 Likes

Trump’s also a proponent of executing people with drug related convictions

32 Likes

Welp, this will make our quality of life better.

19 Likes

Fuck this.

They’re trying so hard to be the cruelest administration since Jackson so hard.

48 Likes

When Trump leaves office, can they get him for treason? I bet he’s not thinking about that possibility.

24 Likes

Not if he moves to Russia.

11 Likes

I had thought that we always had the death penalty at the federal level, just that previous AG’s did not choose to order the BoP to set execution dates. I mean, that could be reinstatement, but there are also questions about whether or not it was legal to ignore the law requiring the AG to make those requests.

3 Likes

37 executions in 76 years. The Trump admin are killing 5 people ASAP. Winning. Here’s hoping this is their own petard they will be hoisted upon.

27 Likes

Waiting for the cranes and hangings in public squares.

They are becoming exactly like the countries they claim to despise more and more every day.

34 Likes

He’s totally thinking of this in terms of ratings. The executions will be timed to benefit him strategically, during the democratic primary, during democratic debates and other points he wants to be the major story in the news.

33 Likes

Interesting strategy considering the sitting president is going to be charged with multiple very serious Federal crimes the second he steps foot out of office, so let’s see how that works out for them.

7 Likes

I hope this execution decision doesn’t come back to bite you, Bill.

2 Likes

I expect him to never step out of office, to be honest. Not willingly. And if he does, I expect he will be pardoned, especially if it’s another Republican that assumes office. If for no other reason than to transfer the allegiance of his base.

14 Likes

Because nothing says Fascist like lots of executions…

31 Likes

Oh good. Just in case they haven’t made “we’re evil as fuck” as clear as possible.

34 Likes

Isn’t that supposed to be ACTING AG? I do not recall there being a hearing on the nomination

senate is in enemy hands.

9 Likes

I feel safer already!

4 Likes

Be very nice to see this come back and bite the TGOP in the ass.

3 Likes

state executions aside, the trump admin has murdered thousands, tens of thousands. obama’s no less bloody. these bullshit laws make you think laws are in play, but there are those who are above the law. they kill other people. they order other people to kill other people all the time. LOL executions.

2 Likes