U.S. reinstates death penalty, AG William Barr orders execution of 5 federal inmates

I think it’s quite possible to be concerned about our government’s use of force in the world AND our criminal justice system using capital punishment. LOL executions, indeed.

16 Likes

No. Stop asking.

Legal precedent requires a declaration of war to levy Treason charges. That’s why plenty of people have been caught spying since then, but nobody has been charged with it since WWII.

9 Likes

I expect any given Democrat would probably also pardon him, when the moment comes.

4 Likes

My first question: What are they paving the way for?

They deal in incremental horrors. This is step one of something.

11 Likes

Yeah personally I think they’re playing with fire considering how many Trump administration members have found themselves facing serious Federal charges already.

8 Likes

Step one? Fuck, this is like step twenty. They’re way more incremental than you think.

9 Likes

So, did you ever study the events that lead up to WWII? 'Cause that’s what they’re paving the way for: fascism and genocide.

19 Likes

That’s what I’m afraid of, yeah. They have the camps, and I know what they want to do next.

13 Likes

I think most Americans are unaware that the U.S. is one of the very few nations that still has capital punishment. All of the EU has abolished it, along with Canada, Mexico and most of Central and South America. The remaining countries that have it tend to be authoritarian one-party states (China and North Korea for example) and/or theocracies (Iran for example). World opinion has gone towards abolition, for all kinds of good reasons.

25 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Right. And that’s “business as usual”. This feels to me like an open escalation. An attempt to normalize federal executions, the same way all the other death you mention (stretching all the way back to the beginning of history, really) has been normalized.

They are normalizing keeping people in concentration camps. Normalizing dismantling our government agencies. Normalizing a president being above the rule of law. Etc. Executing federal prisoners is one more step into the darkness.

18 Likes

I’m sorry, what? Aren’t subpoenas and contempt of congress also rules of law?

21 Likes

or people who, in his royal opinion, have a “high likelihood of criminal behavior and/or drug trafficking” you know, immigrants.

Well, no, ours will be Capitalist cranes carrying out Christian hangings, not those barbaric Communist Cranes and Sharia hangings

17 Likes

Robert Mueller confirmed yesterday that Trump could be charged with 10 counts of obstruction of justice after he leaves office.

The easy counter to this, however, is on Trump’s second-to-last day, he could resign, make Pence president and have him pardon Trump similar to how Ford pardoned Nixon.

5 Likes

It is not hard at all for me to imagine January 2021, if Trump takes the White House a second time… the first “executions” of 20-30 immigrants on made-up charges, and then later “well, we just don’t have room, if only the Democrats would give us more funding we wouldn’t have to execute.”

7 Likes

Now all we have to do is define “enemies”. If Russia tries to interfere with our elections, then they are an “enemy”. All those helping them should…

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381

1 Like

Reasons this has happened:
Trump likes the idea of hurting and killing criminals.
Trump likes the idea of hurting and killing political enemies.
Trump will point out similarities between criminals/terrorists executed and his political enemies, in order to execute them by proxy. Some of the executions prioritized will include black people, Islamic terrorists and criminals who are undocumented aliens, preferably South American. He’ll also make sure to kill gang members.
Sensible people will argue against it, and Trump gets to be the more conservative/manly/assertive/bloodthirsty/angry voice in that argument.
It distracts from more important issues (more people will be killed by overly aggressive police, ICE, lack of meat inspection, air pollution, water pollution, lack of access to health care than by execution).
Trump will be happy to brag about how murderous he is during rallies, and will impugn the manhood of any opponent who argues against it.

13 Likes

All the more reason to run a woman against him. To quote my favorite line from The Two Towers movie, “I am no man.”

12 Likes

Appalling.
Barr’s the kind of guy who would take this a step further and privatize the executions.

11 Likes

Hey, look what just bumped all that Mueller testimony off the front page.

19 Likes

It’s a prelude to “opening up the libel laws”.

2 Likes