Trump approved Saudi Arabia nuclear technology permits twice after Khashoggi murder

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/04/trump-okd-saudi-arabia-nucle.html

The approvals show “President Trump’s eagerness to give the Saudis anything they want,” said Sen.Tim Kaine (D-VA)

2 Likes

tumblr_pscc3mEkWY1rhs4ze_540

15 Likes

I think there was a clip on Last Week Tonight that showed him working through the moral calculus of dealing with a literal cold-blooded murderer, and arriving at the conclusion (surprising no one) that a $10 Billion arms sale was not gonna be held up by a little murder and dismemberment.

5 Likes

Come on, the KSA is an absolute monarchy that assassinates those who criticise it and that exists only because it pays blackmail to violent religious fanatics. What’s the worst that could happen?

12 Likes

Please remember that no such deal was actually being worked on, or was even in the offing. So, a hypothetical deal was more valuable than the life of a ‘US person,’ in the Orwellian language of immigration.

7 Likes

This is how Trump/Kushner reward Muslims “capable of governing themselves.”

1 Like

Actually they probably think that Muslims are not “capable of governing themselves” and need to be kept under control by kings and dictators.

2 Likes

This story confirms two things in my mind, which I cannot prove but never-the-less believe is true:

1. Trump is hocked up the eyeballs with the Saudis and thus beholden to them
  2. Trump thinks killing journalists who criticize him is hunky-dory, and thinks MBS did the right thing by having Khashoggi killed.

I also believe the same is true of Trump with regards to Putin.

2 Likes

Arms are bought for the purpose of killing people. One murder shouldn’t matter, in the scheme of things.

2 Likes

Muslims are not the problem, autocrats are.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.