Trump: “rogue killers” murdered Jamal Khashoggi, maybe. Everyone else: Saudi Arabia did

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/15/trump-rogue-killers-mur.html

9 Likes

8btOj1S

25 Likes

This sounds like a job for … the Detective-in-Chief – !

17 Likes

I’m sure he’ll work to find the real killer. I know a guy who can help him. He just needs a pardon.

15 Likes

Word on the street says a 400-pound guy from New Jersey did it.

7 Likes

If you eliminate the Saudis, there’s bound to be some simple explanation.

Hypothesis2

18 Likes

Hmmm, someone who can break in to a building, commit a crime and then get away without leaving a trace?

10 Likes

King Abdulaziz died in 1953 (King Salman is his, like, 47th son)

If only it had been Turmp

4 Likes

the nova chocolate of the texas embassy special offers
super nova for the super olly-garters

1 Like

Since Tuesday, I’ve had a feeling this will be passed off as a Saudi Arabian version of “Will no one rid me of this meddlesome journalist?” scenario, and labelled as an unavoidable accident that was clearly nobody’s fault. God, I hope not.

Sounds like King S wasted an excessively strong denial when a weak one would have been more than enough.

Freudian slip? Dog whistle to dictators everywhere? :thinking:

7 Likes

tumblr_pgggscI9ML1vfmb0jo1_540

15 Likes

This is outrageous. Once again Saudi Arabia needs to be punished. Time to invade Afghanistan, right?

8 Likes

From the same interview:

President Trump said he believes that Russian President Vladi­mir Putin “probably” has been involved in assassinations and poisonings, but he appeared to dismiss the gravity of those actions, noting that they have not taken place in the United States.

“Probably he is, yeah. Probably,” Trump told CBS’s Lesley Stahl when asked during an interview on “60 Minutes” whether he thinks Putin is involved “in assassinations, in poisonings.”

“But I rely on them; it’s not in our country,” Trump added.

2 Likes

What I dont get about the Saudis is: Presumably, they’d been extensively surveilling Khashoggi (since they’d flown in 15 assassins, and knew where/when he’d be at the Consulate). So, didn’t they have many better opportunities to hit Khashoggi than at the Saudi Consulate itself? They couldve run him over with a car and had complete deniability (“hit-and-run by unknown person”). Or, gone slightly less deniable, and do what Putin did to Nemtsov (Khashoggi would have been a victim of “random street violence”). But, in this case, there is just no deniability. It’s difficult to understand the towering stupidity behind such a meticulously coordinated act.

Then, why do they deny it?
You either do it blatantly because you don’t care about deniability.
Or you do it covertly because you care about deniability.

Perhaps the blatant murder is the message?

After all, it’s not as if they actually lost their nut over a low-key Canadian tweet previously. They were sending a message to the west to butt out and shut up.

6 Likes

So, Saudi Mafia hit, huh?

1 Like

They deny it to give Trump cover. They know that everybody except Trump’s 20% knows it was them, but they don’t want it to get so crazy that Trump has to cancel arms sales. What I’m trying to say is, they care about deniability, but at the same time, they don’t care that everyone knows the truth, because they know Trump will still support them.

7 Likes

Implausible Deniability then?

10 Likes

Basically, they’ve learned from Trump, I suppose.

3 Likes