Why is the Trump administration quiet on Jamal Khashoggi's alleged murder?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/09/why-is-the-trump-administratio.html

9 Likes

Oo! Oo! (waving hand high as possible):
“Because the Trump Administration lacks a moral compass and is just waiting to see which side offers them the best deal to stay out of it?”

40 Likes

Because it involves the Saudis and the only time this sort of thing is bad is when the Iranians do it… or the Chinese… Never the Saudis, though. Never.

48 Likes

So unfair to suggest that this regime has anything in common with a thuggish and backward one led by a decrepit short-sighted greedhead with gaudy tastes who only has power and wealth thanks to his corrupt and hateful father.

28 Likes

I find myself fantasizing about some kind of superhero who would get pissed off and start fucking with global politics. Or at least some kind of rogue Jason-Bourne-ish ex-spy who could hack into politicians personal emails and start blackmailing them to leave politics (and I’ll include pseudo journalists like everyone at Fox News as well.)

12 Likes

Let’s not overcomplicate things. When’s the last time you heard Turmp say anything other than to take credit or incite hatred? If it can’t be bludgeoned into one of those two templates, it didn’t happen.

13 Likes

Not only would speaking out against this be siding against the US’s partners in peace, Saudi Arabia- It would also mean siding with Turkey, and they’re not in favour in Washington at the moment:

(Well, a stopped clock is right twice a day).

2 Likes

Why is the ⊥rump administration quiet on Jamal Khashoggi’s alleged murder?

Because the ⊥rump administration is pretty much down with that sort of thing :question:

15 Likes

Has the administration had anything to say about the Chinese ‘disappearing’ the head of Interpol, Meng Hongwei, which occurred about the same time?

At least the Chinese have admitted that they have him, whereas the Saudis are still going “Khashoggi, Khashoggi, rings a bell … but … nope. Sorry. Can’t help you. No idea where he is. Did you check under the couch cushions?”

11 Likes

Wait - are you talking about drumpf there?

3 Likes

Not only that, but look who the victim is.

I mean, it’s not like he’s a pasty-white evangelical MAGA-ist, or a billionaire who needs help moving a hundred million or two… It’ll be a cold day on the surface of the sun before Trump gives a fuck about a brown journalist, especially one that writes in WaPo.

25 Likes

Could it be he hasn’t said anything one way or another because he’s busy rubbing his tiny hands in glee, looking forward to the day when HE and HIS can disappear/kill journalists he has problems with?

17 Likes

Meanwhile the UK government has come out with this: “Violence against journalists is going up and is a grave threat to freedom of expression. If media reports prove correct we will treat the incident seriously – friendships depend on shared values,”

Can anyone tell me what values are shared between the UK and Saudi? The closest I can get is that we like their money and they like our weapons.

21 Likes

Or who gives them the best deal to jump in and obfuscate further.

1 Like

giphy%20(8)

20 Likes

trump may be quiet but Boeing is not.

“Several U.S. lawmakers including GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Bob Corker (Tenn.) and Rand Paul (Ky.), have expressed worry about Khashoggi’s disappearance.” -The Hill

Guess what all these m’fkrs have in common? Boeing.

Graham: Airplanes
Corker: Parts, Weapons, Helicopters (Army), Gas centrifuges*. Tenn has recently invested allot of money into Boeing.
Paul: Helicopters

*Edit: Boeings Oak Ridge Nuclear Facility ‘closed’. However, Interesting tid bit below:

Guessing trump is being forced to keep his trap shut due to a nuclear component… it doesn’t take too much effort to think that SA or Turkey both have a nuke program.

“Taking matters into our own hands is the name of the game today,” said Jamal Khashoggi, a veteran Saudi journalist and former adviser to the government. “A deal will open up the Saudi appetite and the Turkish appetite for more nuclear programs. But for the time being Saudi Arabia is moving ahead with its operations to pull the carpet out from underneath the Iranians in our region.” -NYTimes 2015

4 Likes

Or the Russians or North Koreans. But there is a certain fatigue in reporting those stories. A sort of ¯_(ツ)_/¯ vibe.

Shhh! We have been lucky thus far that Trump has not commented on this. You know his comment would be congratulating the Saudis.

“Now there is a country that knows how to deal with a biased liberal mainstream media. We could learn a lot from them. Tremendous.”

4 Likes

Why? Let us consult the crystal ball…

25 Likes

I’m confused. Why WOULD he comment? Dude was a Saudi killed in Turkey at the Saudi consulate. How much shady shit were the Saudis up to under Obama with no comment? The US has said barely a word about Yemen. “Don’t rock the boat.” has been US policy for decades and Trump has zero reason to do otherwise.

8 Likes