Trump proposes concentration camps to solve homelessness

There is a line of thought in capitalist society that human life only has value if it contributes to the economy in some way. Even children are valued not for who they are, but who they will hopefully one day be (i.e., good hard-working consumers).

“We should run government like a business” is a sick, sick idea.

15 Likes

Police in neighboring communities have apparently been dropping off people in our city since the campsite went up.

5 Likes

Yeah, there is that. It would work better in a country with robust public transportation. We’ve rolled ‘I have a car’ into the national identity. Busses and light rail make more sense, but we aren’t in the making sense business these days.

12 Likes

Most cities could house a few hundred people just with the money his campaign owes them.

10 Likes

If you gave people services in the first place, they’d probably not be homeless… but no, we can only give them services in concentration camps. Yeah, I can imagine how much “help” they’d be getting there… out of sight, out of mind, on “inexpensive land” not near any city or existing services.

I mean, it was also what happened during the depression… Trump’s gonna set up his own Hooverville Trumpville.

It wouldn’t even get spent in the first place - so many services for the homeless are volunteer-driven and private charities, but if you’re not near the volunteers and it’s a public program, you’re going to suddenly have to spend a heck of a lot more tax money than is currently being spent (especially if you want to provide real services) - Republicans would never go along with it.

I’m reminded of the emptying of mental health facilities in California - they did some pilot programs where people were released into the community with a lot of support, had great success and then used that as justification to shut down all the facilities - but they didn’t want to spend the money to scale up the support programs, so everyone just ended up on the streets.

Republicans are always very happy to spend 10x the money to punish people than it would have cost to solve the underlying problems in the first place.

14 Likes

“Hooverville” was a slang term for a Depression-era homeless encampment but even those didn’t generally have fences around them keeping people inside. People simply lived there because they had nowhere else to go.

Trump’s plan is far more evil than anything Hoover did.

13 Likes

They can be caddies?
Elmo Shrug GIF - Elmo Shrug Idk - Discover & Share GIFs

That’s not increasing the number of homeless, it’s relocating them to where there are some sort of resources for them, insufficient as they may be.

I hope that some time in prison will make Trump reconsider some of his proposed strategies. Not likely, but I hope he learns something valuable from the experience.

8 Likes

People were getting forced, in various ways, into those camp spaces, but yeah, this is orders of magnitude more authoritarian and evil than that.

5 Likes

So many benefits…on site bathing facilities (using natural spring water)…

not to mention handouts of loose change…

9 Likes

Ah. Thanks for clarifying.

2 Likes

So sending them to a for-profit prison would also be bad?

(It’s funny because this already happens.)

((/S))

9 Likes

Well, we can certainly count on you to consistently point out how impossible progress is when it comes to things that have already been done.

Finland, a country with a GDP less than LA County, has virtually eliminated homelessness with a housing first policy.

20 Likes

Yeah, but they’re foreigners.

17 Likes

What… have you no common sense! Things have always been this way and we can’t change anything ever!!! /s

Seriously, this is one of the reasons we have such a large prison population here in the US…

miss jay gif GIF

Oh noes! Not foreigners /s

17 Likes

“Build camps” is the new “Build a wall”, because that worked out so well. Same mindset, this time with bonus slave labor. But hey, creating horrific new problems sure beats trying to solve our existing ones in a humane and thoughtful way. That’s too hard.

8 Likes

Damn, that was spooky. I could even hear the mango asshat in there.

please stop it.

6 Likes

Send the homeless on a ‘cruise’ to Finland! Oh no, that’s actually simple enough for Trump to remember.

1 Like

But in this case - the homeless/unhoused will pay for it. Just like Mexico did with the wall…

Oh…wait…

extreme /s

2 Likes

But as Nice Republicans will tell you, those Scandinavian countries are all more “homogeneous” than the US. In the US, you would just never be able to convince some people to pay for the welfare of some other people. They themselves don’t object, of course, but their otherwise Very Nice Neighbor™ would never go for it, because a government employee once told him he couldn’t build a shed on his property without a permit, so now he hates Democrats, and honestly, they can sympathize…blah, blah, blah (sorry, a bit of a stream of consciousness, but truly cobbled together from things I’ve heard…)

11 Likes

I was waiting for that argument, but I guess recycling it from similar ones against gun control and decriminalization makes it too “woke.”

6 Likes