Trump signs 'American AI Initiative' executive order to prioritize federal funding for artificial intelligence research

I particularly like this excerpt from your link:

The scope of AI is disputed: as machines become increasingly capable, tasks considered as requiring “intelligence” are often removed from the definition, a phenomenon known as the AI effect, leading to the quip in Tesler’s Theorem, “AI is whatever hasn’t been done yet.”[4]

We’re so obsessed with the AI that doesn’t exist that we routinely forget or ignore the AI that does.

8 Likes

Natural born stupidity funding artificial intelligence

3 Likes

Oh man, Barron is going to be so great at this! He loves the cybers.

But seriously, this will go the way of all of his idiotic proposals that don’t directly marginalize brown people; no funding, no follow-through, cronies and relatives appointed to advisory positions while any real issues continue to fester and languish until any leadership we had in the field is forgotten.

6 Likes

I bet in the back of his mind (which is quite close to the front) - he’s thinking he can maybe get himself uploaded into a robot body and live forever.

2 Likes

Came here for the jokes. Not disappointed.

2 Likes

The Lisp phase was kinda cute, though.

4 Likes

Wait, what happened to Prolog?

3 Likes

Somewhere out there is a rogue AI written in Plankalkül.

1 Like

I’m sure it will end up being as wildly successful as his infrastructure plan, prescription drug price reduction plan, and plan to curb opiate addiction.

4 Likes

If you’re interested in learning more about the current state of AI, this is a very good book.

AI: A Very Short Introduction

(For full disclosure I work for Oxford University Press.)

1 Like

Waddaya know, Gigolo Joe?

I’m thinking that Trump is actually just acting under orders from Moscow to make America’s big data more readily available to his paymasters. After all, why pay Cambridge Analytical’s successors to scalp data, when you can get the American Tax Payers to foot the bill.

AROOOOOOOOOOOO!

3 Likes

Always be Wall-E-gif/fing

1 Like

If Trump & Friends want it, it’s because they’ve been told it can eliminate human jobs.
They certainly wouldn’t want intelligence, artificial or otherwise, to be applied to environmental studies, gun violence, or wealth inequity. Machines like that would be dangerous.

4 Likes

Trump signs ‘American AI Initiative’ executive order to prioritize federal funding for artificial intelligence research

As long as tRump is the first AI brain transplant, I’m OK with this.

AI, AI, AI AI, Sing banish sadness…

We’re at the point where, even though it may be a vague and empty gesture, this executive order feels jarring and disorienting because it has some sort of bearing on reality.

makes perfect sense - trump’s calling it Skynet

Build the Fire Wall!

1 Like