Trump tweets of 'decades long awaited Infrastructure Bill,' which is 'VERY BIG & BOLD, Two Trillion Dollars'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/31/trump-tweets-of-decades-long.html

6 Likes

!!:gs\ing\t

13 Likes

pathologically esoteric rubbish lister makes sense suddenly.

8 Likes

The “I never said that” retraction will come at 17:00 EST.

21 Likes

5 Likes

He saw Congress pass a 2 trillion dollar bill and thinks a trillion is a dime a dozen now.

He thinks about how much he can grift from 2 trillion dollars and his mouth is watering.

Jared told him to tweet this to float the idea.

23 Likes

Oh the humanity…

Phase 4? I for one welcome our new insect overlords!

13 Likes

If you read Paul Krugman (you should, he’s a Nobel prize-winning economist who was inspired into his calling by Asimov’s Foundation trilogy; his column in the NYT is ‘Conscience of a Liberal’), he makes a case that perpetual deficit spending in these days of near-zero interest rates is a Good Thing – it’ll keep the economy rolling, and really doesn’t cost us anything if the interest payments are less than the GDP growth.

We’ve spent that this year, and beyond that (especially as annual GDP is likely to be down). That doesn’t mean we’re in runaway-inflation mode, or doom for our grandchildren mode, but it’s going to be harder to budget this. In this all-but-official recession I’d be really surprised if this passes for two reasons:
a) GOP will vote down big spending that goes to the state and local govts that need roads, bridges, etc. (annoyingly)
b) DEM will vote down big spending that goes to tax breaks and incentives to big corporations without paying for an actual thing to be done (sensibly)

27 Likes

The Q-Anonners must be going nuts right now.

5 Likes

I guess some folks are excited about Moon Knight and a stand-alone Hawkeye movie but TBH I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe peaked years ago.

12 Likes

Phase 4?

I thought that was tRump’s plan [phase 4] to kill off the populous of the USA. And it’s going swimmingly…

7 Likes

What’s that “Phase 4” about?

5 Likes

To be fair, they are nuts. It takes a special kind of nuts to get your news from 8chan.

4 Likes

{Xeni] He’s clearly losing it.

That assumes he ever had it to lose. It’s hard to devolve from nothing.

10 Likes
21 Likes

0 interest loans to local gov’t with oversight to build: schools, roads, replace the ancient sewer and water systems, run cable conduit alongside sewer while doing so (last mile problem solved) - 0 interest loans to states to replace/fix bridges - possibly a new interstate run or two.

No pork, strings, riders, or attempts to tie building sewers with abortion rights. The kind of dream bill I’d cheer on NO MATTER WHO WAS IN OFFICE.

/sigh

I can dream

27 Likes

Someone picked up this idea, which has been promoted on social media for at least the last couple of days, and convinced him it was his idea.

You know what? I don’t care. We actually need this, so if we do get infrastructure repair and paying jobs out of it, who cares if he’s patting himself on the back the whole time?

But @joelfinkle’s points above (Krugman’s arguments) are worryingly accurate.

21 Likes

At the rate we are going any future infrastructure plan will look a lot like the post depression CCC and WPA projects to put people to work.

11 Likes

It’s not the worst idea to pump money into infrastructure during a downturn. It’s positively Keynesian for the gov to spend money when the people can’t - which i’m sure is driving some fiscal conservatives crazy (although I’m sure they will find a way to excuse it as being Totally Different™ ). I’m sure he’ll find a way to send it to donor companies or something. BUT our nations bridges could use some help.

15 Likes