Trump tweets of 'decades long awaited Infrastructure Bill,' which is 'VERY BIG & BOLD, Two Trillion Dollars'

The markets are down and the Cheetoh-in-Chief think that him twittering about big stimulus bills will give the markets a bump.

7 Likes

Frightening similar to watching machine learning try to solve a problem.

10 Likes

This is probably the stimulus bill we actually needed. I am all for infrastructure, at least in theory. Not so much for just handing out cash.

3 Likes

Phase 4?

5 Likes

Since the government does not need to borrow to spend, the zero interest rate reference indicates that the infrastructure is to be privatized. Either that or he is ignorant of how the US monetary system works. Answer is both of the above.

2 Likes

I say, boy!
tenor

2 Likes

Good flick! Tag line checks out “The day the earth was turned into a cemetery!”

8 Likes

Phase 4 is the McDonald’s addition (with sliding window) adjacent to Trump’s Whitehouse bedside table.

2 Likes

If any other President said this, it would be good news. With Trump the massive graft and incompetence is a given. We will be screwed for generations.

7 Likes

Why would anyone think this is the time he’s not bullshitting? Or maybe not that the Easter Sunday resurrection of the greatest economy ever*, more stimulus – or more likely, handouts to special interests – is needed? (*Of course, any decent, knowledgeable person might not find an economy great where it fails to provide ~25% of full-time workers with a living wage, requiring additional employment, public assistance and/or easy credit to close that gap and affordably, adequate healthcare is unavailable to a significant number of people. OTOH, the establishment doesn’t tell me that there’s anything intrinsically wrong about our extractive, exploitative economy, so I may well be wrong. Maybe debt slavery is a good thing.)

3 Likes

No pork , strings or riders? What fantasy is this?

2 Likes

With little to no learning from one iteration to the next.

5 Likes

Every conspiracy in the right-wing pantheon should be on tilt. This current crisis is everything they’ve been “warning” us about. The only kink is that it’s their God Emperor who is in charge right now, not a Democrat. They’d be right at home in accusing Obama/Clinton of “tyrannical overreach” and enacting the “Liberal Master Plan” to “control” everything-- but right now, I imagine, they are a little confused. They’re undoubtedly trying to frame it as the Democrats malevolently doing all this in spite of (and to spite) Trump.

11 Likes

Interest rates have nothing to do with it. Deficit spending is the only way to guarantee profit in the private sector, absent an insane level of exports. So, it is always the case that deficit spending is a good thing. When the budget, historically, has been balanced (no deficit), a recession follows.

Real factual stuff: In an economy without trade, the federal budget deficit equals the surplus (profit) in the private sector. Add the trade balance to this; with a surplus, you get to reduce the federal budget deficit. In a situation like the U.S. has, a trade deficit means that the federal budget needs to increase at least by the amount of the trade deficit to prevent a recession, and more to add a surplus to the private sector. This is made worse by flooding the financial sector with easy money which they use to expand investment and asset purchases outside the U.S. instead of growing the U.S. GDP.

fed budget (+/-) + private sector (+/-) - trade balance (+/-) = 0

4 Likes

“our decades long awaited Infrastructure Bill”

What does he mean?

1. “our decade’s long-awaited Infrastructure Bill”
  2. “our decades’ long-awaited Infrastructure Bill”
  3. “our decades-long awaited Infrastructure Bill”
4 Likes

A proper infrastructure funding bill is about 25 years overdue.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the only place you’ll see the phrase “no one adds riders” used in earnest anywhere in Washington is the signs on the office doors of many politicians that say:
“Ass, grass, or cash. No one adds riders for free.”

6 Likes

Phase IV: Finish the rest of the wall, and drill for oil in all national parks. Comcast given the green light for internet brain transplants for all humans, ostensibly for “health tracking” purposes. Also, puppies are kicked, for no apparent purpose.

10 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

I don’t think anybody said that yet this evening?

5 Likes

It’s a given these days.

5 Likes