Trump's 'Protecting Americans from Online Censorship' order would end social platform protections in CDA Section 230

I think the phrase you’re looking for is “I don’t vote in an American primary” That’s very different from “I am apolitical.” Look, this whole thread is going to get eaten, but for what it’s worth, it sounds like you’re an independent or libertarian. I’ll say, actually without much malice, because in this last comment seems genuine and includes some content, that if you think American ( R ) and ( D ) are the only two political positions a body can take and the only two that have ever existed (and that political toxicity is new…), hang around, our anarcho-libertarians and free-market LGBTQ+ aggrarians will offer a fun expansion to your taxonomy. If you’re encountering suspicion wherever you go, try expressing some policy positions or even direct moral statements! It tends to gather more flies than YOU’RE ALL FOOLS!

11 Likes

The big problem is that you’re comparing Liberals who want to do things like improve healthcare, give people better education, and increase open communication with actual Nazis who want to eliminate Black and Jewish people. Very often, people like yourself who claim to be ‘apolitical’ are sock puppets for those actual Nazis, because that’s simply not a healthy or intelligent comparison to make.

14 Likes

Donnie? Is that you?

7 Likes

Well, to bring it full-circle, even if we take your premise that Civility and Moderation are the keys to the future (I don’t, but whatever) having the president personally take over comment moderation on large social media platforms to protect the click-through rates of foreign and domestic disinformation-bots and actual Nazi’s doesn’t solve any of that.

(but you did get me to self-check and type foreign and domestic disinformation-bots, so you can go to bed, you’ve earned it :slight_smile: )

13 Likes

More often than not, that phoney-baloney pose isn’t the result of cynical support of right-wing populists by conservatives and Libertarians but rather plain old privilege-blindness. Being able to claim a lofty position of being “above politics” is a luxury accorded for the most part to Westerners who are white-presenting, male, and/or cisgender (it is also one of the many benefits that come with extreme wealth). This is the starting point for history’s “Good Germans”.

13 Likes

This is what happens in a trump censored world:

Insanity. Unchecked.

10 Likes

Ayn-caps believe in anomie, not anarchism.

13 Likes

Hey man, link me to an article that cites my boy Durkheim in the second paragraph, and I’m loving Monday. And historians said we weren’t a real discipline…Sociologists represent!

4 Likes

Well, yes, we do. I mean, there’s far too many candidates right now, and they haven’t all articulated their positions very well, but if one were to actually read, rather than engage in bullshit both-sides-ism, you can easily find out the policies of the primary contenders.

11 Likes

11 Likes

Kennedy was polling at 27% is the month before he was assassinated - sure his numbers soared afterwards.

But not many people would choose that strategy- at least for themselves.

10 Likes

That’s not what 538 shows the polling at:

September 1963 so less than two months before.

6 Likes

Yeah, dude does not care at all about what is or is not legal. If you look at his campaign and presidency one of the most prominent recurring themes has been that he doesn’t understand that under the American system the president is not supposed to have unilateral power over all matters (though sadly the laws have been broken down in such a way that it is getting ever closer to that) and him looking with awe and envy at the leaders of countries where that is the case.

He gushes over the likes of Putin and Kim because they have sweeping power to do whatever the hell they want. He thought that’s what he’d get when he took office. He spoke that way on the campaign trail, and started running into the legal limitations placed on his office basically from the day he stepped foot into the White House.

He’s terrified by social media now because he’s come to understand that it can cut both ways, and he’s shown his hand so much and made his collusion so obvious that now people are using the “secret” he used to basically steal an election to coordinate efforts to keep him from getting elected again. If he can’t pressure social media companies into giving the people and tactics he used to get elected a platform despite widespread opposition to it, he’s going to try to find a way to force them to. Without his army of goons and trolls operating a firehose of garbage, it’s a lot harder for him to deflect attention away from the fact that he’s not only corrupt, but just breathtakingly inept.

1 Like

Meanwhile…

A Portland cartoonist briefly saw his art disappear from Instagram for “promoting violence and dangerous organizations” after right-wing trollies reported a political cartoon that juxtaposed a mass shooter motivated by white supremacy with a masked antifascist throwing a milkshake.

12 Likes

Great cartoon, and what briefly happened to it is a great example of the scary place we’re at now. So are the Comments at that newspaper. I know, never read the comments, but sheesh, they remind me of why a lot of papers have simply done away with comments sections, e.g.,

Antifas left-wing enclaves are slowly turning on them. Any man who needs to wear a mask to fight, is a coward. Antifa terrorizes old people, homosexuals, women, and children. Their days are numbered

:confused:

6 Likes

You’re looking at approval minus disapproval, or “net approval.” That’s a valid thing to look at but it’s not “approval ratings” or “poll numbers” as we normally use them.

Anything above 25% net approval for a well-known politician is very good news, because it implies that you have a greater than 50% approval rating (unless somehow there are more undecideds than disapprovers).

1 Like

Holy crap they took down Bors?

Bors is one of the more mainstream cartoonists out there. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised after what they did to Rob Rogers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.