Trump's worst pardon so far is for the cop who sicced her police dog on a handcuffed man after he surrendered

Those poor dogs having to work with this bitch. :cry:

4 Likes

Thank you for noting this.

But, of course, they did not. They barely even raised a ripple; most Americans aren’t even aware that they happened.

Non-American lives have zero value in mainstream US political discourse.

OTOH, individual incidents of unauthorised murder pale into insignificance when compared to the greater crimes that were the wars themselves.

“To initiate a war of aggression is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime, differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.”

–Justice Robert Jackson, Nuremberg, 1945

Wars which, of course, enjoyed broad bipartisan support. Every single person that supported those invasions shares responsibility for every single death that they caused.

As before:

The GOP is not the problem. The Dems are not the problem. America is the problem. Trump is the symptom, not the disease.

3 Likes

which is why i used the phrasing you quoted. i posted a longer denunciation of this pardon on my facebook page and ended up removing 3 people from my list of friends over their willingness to excuse the actions of the blackwater thugs and/or excuse the pardons. i opposed the iraq invasion to the limits of one american’s ability to oppose a concerted government action and everything that has happened in the interim has filled me with shame despite my personal opposition because i clearly see what we have been responsible for.

8 Likes

LegalEagle didn’t even take time to plug any of his sponsors. That’s how you know shit’s getting real.

No kidding

Finally!! Trump is the symptom, the truth will out!! The America I knew and respected has steadily and relentlessly devolved to it’s current level of irrelevance. When Fox News and the Kardashians are the topic of today, then the rot has set in.It is NOT just HIM, he is merely the messenger, each and everyone of you that turned a blind eye, shrugged your shoulder and carried on, are complicate

1 Like

Error alert!! COMPLICIT see what I mean! it is infectious!!

One must hope – indeed, pray – that this woman’s nightmarish crimes will follow her closely wherever she chooses to walk in her new-found freedom.
And that God’s justice will follow her even closer. Amen.

In the UK, the Home Secretary can and does override sentences on a (political) whim, and I assume there are similar traditions in other Commonwealth countries. It’s hard to imagine it could ever make political sense for a Home Secretary to pardon someone this offensive, but then, it’s hard to imagine in US politics, too, so who knows.

Still, I don’t think the existence of pardons is the main problem here. It does make sense to have a safety valve for exceptional cases. The problem is that this power (and many others) can end up in the hands of a spiteful corrupt sociopathic dimwit bigot rapist. All power is bad when you give it to a bad person.

3 Likes

IANAL, but I have heard some who are argue this is not so. While a federal pardon protects them from federal charges, they can still claim 5th amendment protection based on vulnerability to state charges. That silver lining is looking thinner and more tinnish al the time.

2 Likes

You know how fucking BAD it has to be to convict a COP?

4 Likes

That doesn’t seem like a problem. If the state intends to prosecute, then the federal pardon wasn’t the shield the pardonee (?) might have hoped. They can now choose between prosecution and cutting a deal. If the state doesn’t intend to prosecute, then the governor can pardon them, cutting off their use of the 5th when asked to testify against others.

This is old hat for dealing with organized crime. All it takes it the will to do it.

1 Like

It all depends on what you view as “worst”. Dude pardoned a bunch of people charged and convicted as part of his own corruption and a former sheriff who compared himself favorably to Hitler too.

They might have. If the news had bothered to cover the issue. Far more important to false balance the fuck out of climate change though. And have you heard Dr. Oz’s latest weight loss tip? It’ll change your life.

She’ll probably be working for a small town PD within 6 months.

1 Like

So what happened to the supervisor that okayed the attack? ISTM that he is as culpable.

1 Like

And this pardon has no practical effect, except (lack of) virtue-signaling.
She had finished her sentence 10 years ago.

This is great for the people in question, but the problem is that it’s only good for another 18 days. After that, Trump supporters contemplating committing federal crimes for Trump’s benefit will need to tread more carefully; they can’t realistically expect “protection” before at least 2025, and perhaps not even just then.

1 Like

I hate to be a debbie downer, but trumpism isn’t going to disappear on Jan 20th. Neither will emboldened MAGA cult followers, nor other fed officials who think they can get away with shit the same way trump has. That’s what norm destruction does.

Susan Collins famously said: ‘I’m sure Trump learned his lesson’…nope, and neither did his sycophants.

Sure, but after Jan 20th, presidential pardons will (presumably) no longer be available to Trump supporters who break federal law on his behalf. Also, if Twitter goes through with its promise to treat Trump like any other subscriber, that should put something of a crimp in his online activities.

It’s safe to assume that “Trumpism” isn’t going to disappear from one day to the next. We’ll have to wait and see if the GOP wants to continue letting itself be defined by Trump. I wouldn’t bet on him being a viable contender in 2024; the guy is old and obese, had COVID-19, and may have beginning dementia, after all. Given that there’s no heir apparent, it’s not at all obvious who the GOP front runner the next time around will be, and what their political ideas and goals might be (given that Trump didn’t really have any to speak of).

Police Sgt. Anthony Delozier, 40, who eventually was acquitted, testified that he had asked Takoma Park Police Sgt. Dennis W. Bonn if Mohr’s dog “could get a bite,” and Bonn said, “Yes.”
It was learned later that the men were homeless, and that Mendez had been previously convicted of dealing drugs and deported twice from the United States.
Bonn subsequently retired. He was charged as an accessory after the fact. After testifying in the trials, he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 15 months in prison.