TSA agents demand bag-search to look for "Bitcoins"

My god, learn the classics:

21 Likes

Maybe something like this? Probably not.

Sure, laugh all you want.

This is why I always check my bitcoins through in baggage. No hassles, and I know that my investment is safe and insured.

6 Likes

This guy used to inscribe bitcoins of his own design.

Could be that they were trying to plant some and their plan didn’t work out. Don’t suppose? TSA is a wily bunch from what I read and hear.

There are no international flights from Manchester.

1 Like

Yes, but Manchester, NH isn’t an international airport. I am unaware of any restriction on carrying monetary instruments on domestic flights in the US.

1 Like

Hence the first question out of the manager’s mouth was about whether the guy was traveling internationally, then when the guy wouldn’t answer, the manager told him his concern was about monetary instruments, and the manager immediately dropped the matter the moment that he was told it was domestic travel. (Though it sounds like the manager decided on a trust-but-verify approach to that claim)

3 Likes

[quote=“AlexG55, post:27, topic:24482”]
I am unaware of any restriction on carrying monetary instruments on domestic flights in the US.[/quote]

Reference "Asset forfeiture or in his case just the normal TSA “You’re wearing a Hoodie” tax.

2 Likes

This guys story was actually very interesting, and to me focused more on the odd fact that someone has been telling TSA they need to “watch for BitCoin”. Funny how so many commenters focus more on “stupid TSA” or “the guy sounds like a dick”. Is he anti-authority? Of course, he’s writing for an anarchist site. Duh. And I find the TSA no more stupid than the people who put their “crypto-currency” into an “exchange” and were surprised when it evaporated.

2 Likes

And I didn’t think that there was anything on BB today that was going to make me poop myself laughing.

What a maroon, what an ignoranimus! Is a quote from Bugs Bunny and is spelled correctly.

9 Likes

It’s also ridiculous because bitcoins do have a physical manifestation.

Next, they’ll be looking for unicorn horns!

1 Like

He might very well have been transporting more than $10K worth of Bitcoins, depending on how many of them he had in his laptop or other storage media, even if the price didn’t halve or double when he wasn’t looking. He probably had a reasonably good guess. (Of course, if he’s not travelling internationally, there’s no restriction on how much of it he can carry without reporting it.)

What a ta-ra-ra-goon-de-ay.

1 Like

Hmmm…yes…time for me to mint some wooden nick…er…wooden bitcoins and take some sort of a road-trip.

Wooden nickels, tulips…tra-la…

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s a lot, since there’s only 10 kinds of people in the world.

1 Like

Is there really any reason whatsoever to carry bitcoins with you anywhere? Can’t you save them in an encrypted file online and access it from anywhere?

Forgive my ignorance.