TSA not sure if DC drivers licenses are valid ID

oh come on. cut the hyperbole.

one person was confused, the whole exchange probably took five seconds.

[She] began to shake her head. “I don’t know if we can accept these,” Brandt recalled the agent saying. “Do you have a U.S. passport?”
Brandt says the agent yelled out to a supervisor, working in [an] adjacent security line. Are D.C. licenses valid identification?
Brandt says she could hear the response, “Yeah, we accept those.”

3 Likes

Y’all shouldn’t be so hard on the agent – probably just didn’t get enough electrolytes that day…

4 Likes

She should talk to her Senators about that. No, wait…

1 Like

As a liquor store manager I can tell you that the store likely as a function of state law doesn’t have to accept out of state ids. It is sort of Jerky though. Some stores in beach towns around here won’t take military ids as they are more easily faked. Some won’t take us passports either, why I have no idea. Some states will let you deny service for any/no reason others say you have to serve as long as they aren’t intoxicated and can provide satisfactory proof of age. Thank you prohibition. By the way transportation of alcohol across state lines is bootlegging.

As much as I abhor the TSA these days, I’m ok with this one. As I understand it, the TSA agents are given a big list of oftentimes non-intuitive or illogical rules that they need to follow. I expect that a vast majority of Americans don’t even realize that DC is not part of a state, so that agent is above average in that regard. I can understand wanting to clarify with supervisors what their rules say about it. In fact, knowing my temperament about stupid rules, I would likely invent absurd situations to ask my supervisors about. Just to make a point.

This is no big deal.

1 Like

Well surely that’s all the data we need to confirm our contemptuous opinion of Americans, and especially Federal employees. After all, we’re awesome!

2 Likes

I had a guy try to confiscate my driver’s license in a bar… he said “there isn’t any state called Delaware, this is fake.”

I went over the bar and took it back and when he, um, objected to my behavior I told him to call the cops and serve me a beer while we waited for them to arrive. About that time another bar employee arrived and I explained that I didn’t want any trouble, but there was no way in hell any bartender was going to steal my driver’s license. Luckily the other bar guy was a little more knowledgeable about US states.

I think it was in Olean, New York. Definitely that area, anyway, northwestern PA/southwestern NY. Less than 500 miles from Delaware.

3 Likes

True - those guys gave us abominations like the TSA!

1 Like

They deserve 2 senators more than, say, Montana does…

1 Like

Sorry, only Marvel drivers licenses are valid.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I would expect that to fall under “due faith and credit.” Banks and cops have to accept them, so it’s weird that liquor stores don’t.

Wow. I work part time at a gas station and have never IDed for rolling papers. (Side note: It is emphatically not my job to give a flying fuck what people do, minors or not.) That being said, I’ll card just about everyone that doesn’t have gray hair. In my state I can personally be fined as well as the store, and that goes for simply not carding people even if they are of age. I don’t think it’s my job to examine ID for authenticity, though. What am I? CSI? If it’s not written in crayon I take it.

I’m from upstate New York. I apologize on behalf of the region, but it does seem that we experience occasional extradimensional rifts, so he might have been from an instance of the US where there was no Delaware. In other parts of New York, the South won the War of Norther Aggresion, or the Viking colony succeeded and dominates the local bar scene.

1 Like

There are ID reference booklets specifically for that reason. I think they come free with a liquor license, but pretty much any age-restricted establishment should have one behind the bar.

When I was in college I saw my friend’s MD license examined by a supermarket manager, who peered at it and said “Mary Land?! Nuh-uh.” (This was the same supermarket where a clerk didn’t recognize a Susan B. Anthony dollar and asked me “Is this Mexican or something?”)

You spent a Susan B. Anthony dollar on groceries??? -=|slap|=- :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They were in active circulation at the time. Actually, the store was adjacent to a commuter rail station where the ticket machines gave them as change, making the ignorance even more facepalm.

1 Like

Oh, that makes a lot more sense, nevermind. :slight_smile:

I love S.B.A. dollars, alas they were too close to the quarter to survive, at least that is why I hear they were pulled. I felt it was a much more reasonable size then the huge eisenhower silver dollars which were like lugging a tea saucer around with you.

Well, that explains everything! I’ve met people from the Viking part of New York several times, now that I think of it. Thanks!

Why did you need ID to buy a train ticket?

Why, what would you have spent it on? If you’re going to sell them to a collector they’re still only worth… a dollar.