TSA says it doesn't know why United thought comics were banned from checked Comic-Con luggage

I’d like to think that we’ve reached Peak Stupid, but, no. Of course we haven’t.

1 Like

not just for tourists! I love that stuff! get the rose, mint, and natural gum flavors. also, the word is “lokum”.

lol. there was no Turkey then.

No, I just meant the name. I know the stuff itself has a great tradition. I quite liked it.

1 Like

I think you and @winkybber missed the irony in my post. The “almost” and “in theory” are there for a reason. As is the last sentence.
@winkybber - the post is fixed, though I would suggest that owing to the attempts to the US to apply US law to the entire world he is the POTUS of all of us - it is just that only a tiny minority get to vote for him. The new Rome - and still having trouble with the Germans and the Persians.

4 Likes

Well almost. Rated pressure is applied at rest and unloaded. With a rider on the bike static pressure will be higher, and dynamic pressure can be much higher when you hit a bump in the road. So rated static pressure measured at sea level, then taken 8000 feet high is probably okay.

Note that nobody worries about it when cycling to high altitude.

2 Likes

You’re trying to carry Turkish Delight into or around the United States? Hershey bars and twinkies not good enough for you, huh?

Step over here, citizen. We have a special inspection procedure for people like you…

4 Likes

I have started quite an OT here with my original little joke, but I now feel it incumbent on me to note that adding a rider makes very little difference to the static pressure in tyres. At 65psi the difference between me on or off the bike is too small to register. The reason is that the contact patch expands, and the change in volume of the tyre is very small (though I guess it might be noticeable in racing tyres which, of course, have a smaller contact patch than all-terrain tyres.)

Of course cabin pressurisation is irrelevant; I assume it’s just the constant conflict between authority (who would really like everybody to travel completely naked with no luggage for security reasons*) and actually getting people to travel by plane, which involves compromises. Logic and science don’t really come into it.

*and because they would enjoy having the power over people, of course.

You, sir, clearly put great trust in the words of such organizations’ public-facing personnel. I, on the other hand, do not. In my humble opinion, one organization (or both) knew very well what it was about, and they are just feigning ignorance after it resulted in public backlash.

The TSA in particular is probably straight up lying, since United would have much higher incentives to keep heavy objects in the hold (where bags get weighted in advance and charged by the the pound).

There were suggestions that Metrojet Flight 9268 was destroyed by a bomb in a scuba tank. Anything which has to stay sealed seems a good place to conceal contraband so I can understand authorities being sensitive about things like that. I suppose explosives could be built into a bike tire, then pressurized and detonated by an external signal.

1 Like

I dunno. A lot of the cheese at my local deli here in Canada isn’t Canadian. If I asked for Canadian cheese they’d know exactly what I meant. No head scratching involved.

Safety professionals do not hold popular opinions.

1 Like

Would he have done so, when not at work? The airline he works for, and was there for, pays him to err on the side of caution, and has his back not yours when he makes that call, so it was the airline.

It wasn’t the airline in that they don’t have a policy against it. I had flown 3 or 4 times on that airline with no problem. People like him is why I’ve adopted the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy instead of acting like a boy scout.

Sigh.

their policy is that that guy has that job, making that call. That’s policy. Sorry it didn’t go your way, maybe it was personal from him against you?

A lot of the cheese at my local deli in Canada isn’t Canadian, but an awful lot of it is, and I have no idea what you mean by “Canadian cheese”. Over 1000 kinds of cheese are made in Canada. Usually when I buy cheddar, brie, gouda, or havarti, I’m buying Canadian cheese, to say nothing of the local artisan goat cheese.

What do you mean you mean when you ask for Canadian cheese?

2 Likes

Cheese that was made in Canada, as opposed to imported cheese. OK, maybe it isn’t as obvious as I make it out to be.

I get your point, but the thing is had I moved on this, it wouldn’t be me trying to convince the airline to allow it - they already do. It would be to properly educate and train employees. Thousands of paintballers fly per year in the US alone. I imagine by now they are much more aware of the issue than they were 16 years ago.

On the other hand, this is United we’re talking about…

1 Like

Seriously unpopular: TSA PSA’s.
The series. Now on Netflix, and your airport of choice.