TSA says it will sue woman who tried to bring apple butter on plane

True, though she could’ve just checked her bag. Would’ve been an annoyance sure. but its better than throwing it away (or getting fined $2000 apparently). I’m just particularly curious if she did really forget or if she just didn’t care and was going to have her way. Having worked in retail i can tell you some people will always try to push and break the rules because they want to do what they want to do. It’s really annoying.

1 Like

My bladder is full of liquid, how about I empty it here for you, right now?

13 Likes

Psst…the article says it happened in 2013 not 2003.

1 Like

Not just recently, it’s been about the same rate every year.

5 Likes

No, actually, we can’t. It is exactly this sort of bullshit that leads to totalitarianism.

10 Likes

Perhaps apple butter has exactly the same signature as Semtex, and it is a State secret. Because it is impossible that a government organisation could consist of small minded power mad jobsworths with a desire to punish ordinary people.

2 Likes

Really…you think that the TSA stupidity will lead to totalitarianism? Show me…show me anywhere in human history where being allowed to pack your 25oz super size tub of lube being perfectly ok, but not being able to take it on a trasport vessel of any kind led to a totalitarian regime.

I’d like to think your reply was merely sarcasm, but I highly doubt it was.

1 Like

You proposed to ignore TSA’s harassment and stop to fly to avoid it. If one accepts the behaviour of the agency as inalterable I can see a road to more totalitarianism: if it works with aviation it can also be done for, say, road traffic and homes.

10 Likes

I think he is referring to overall all big picture, not the specific example. Big picture meaning laws that afford broad, nebulous powers that are ripe for abuse and inconsistent, arbitrary application and then the public getting accustomed to “that is just the way things are”. Which is one reason I question many laws and their potential for future abuse. Even if the current motive isn’t nefarious, and even though the current entity is more bumbling Keystone Cops than STASI, who is to say in 10, 20 years things haven’t shifted, and then you have people abuse the powers already in place.

8 Likes

Very true, I agree with you that people would pull some crap to get away with stuff.

Here I go off on a tangent again (at least it has to do with air travel).
Once while waiting to board at the gate, I observed a family pull this shananigan. The dad went on ahead and told his ~10 year old son to hang back with their big carry-on bag. Knowing full well it was too big to “carry-on” and that it would have to be checked for a fee. But this dad was banking on the fact that the airline couldn’t collect the fee from a ~10 year old. I felt conflicted that, yes it sucks that the airlines charge a fee for checked bags, but at the same time I was pissed at this dad for his method of trying to circumvent the airline’s annoying policy.

2003? I guess there’s no statute of limitations on apple butter.

1 Like

It’s Terror Butter, get it right

4 Likes

Plz not to give them ideas thx.

1 Like

perhaps. but since the incident took place in 2003 and we are approaching 2016…I feel like thats some awfully slow moving totalitarianism there.

1 Like

… but exceeding small

The just classify it the same as peanut butter. Amazingly, peanut butter is not a liquid when it’s placed between two slices of bread…same for Hummus. So it’s okay to bring it as a sandwich but not as a dip. Unless you get a couple of 3oz containers for your liquid bag.

I think that’s the point. We don’t want to move past stupidity, we want to stop it. The more we know about the TSA’s stupidity, the more ammunition we have to stop it.

6 Likes

I think because we haven’t had a truly malevolent person/group in power yet. Originally this nation was founded in order to prevent something like that from happening.

But remember, a lot of our “laws” are based on various ruling and interpretations by various entities An example is gun laws and how the ATF can decide to classify this and that as something that is or isn’t banned. There is no law needed to pass, they just reclassify something and BAM, it is banned. Sure that could be fought in the courts, but it takes years and there is no guarantee it will be over turned.

The ATF isn’t unique, there are many things like this.

1 Like

Pretty much.

yeah and they should also show situations where government agencies harassing people for not complying with arbitrary rules has ever lead to totalitarianism - that stuff only happens in Brazil ( the movie.)

1 Like