TSA to require some electronics out of bags at 10 U.S. airports starting Memorial Day weekend

The US has required laptops out for security screening for a while now, but other stuff (tablets, cameras) could stay in. My experience traveling in Europe has been that all electronics, including cameras, tablets, etc. have to come out.

1 Like

When I was a graduate student, I regularly flew halfway across the country with a suitcase full of circuit boards, electronics components, soldering gear, computer equipment, etc for my thesis project. One of the security people seriously thought all that stuff was a bomb.

Imagine the trouble I’d get in if I tried that today. I’d land in Gitmo for sure.

3 Likes

They’d just make you assemble and solder it, debug it and switch it on to prove it wasn’t a bomb. Think of it as Extreme Thesis Defense.

8 Likes

Yeah… I think if you went within 10 miles of an airport with that, you’d get tackled and jailed…

Looks cool, though!

3 Likes

It does! I’d be tempted to make one just to put the look-at-my-big-ass-watch people in their place, but first I’m going to replace the dead guts of one of these:

2 Likes

That could apply to anything though.

I’ve seen TSA agents freak out over cans of Play-Doh.

2 Likes

Remember, it’s illegal if you get naked at a TSA checkpoint, but it’s legal for them to body scan and frisk you.

3 Likes

Take the case off of any cheap radio or alarm clock and most people will think it’s a bomb - anything with exposed wires, really. Because that’s the Hollywood definition of a bomb - anything with different colored wires (explosives not required) means someone has to decide which one to cut while a timer ticks down.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.