Tumbleweeds invade a California town and residents have to call 911

Day of The Tumbleweed!

6 Likes

The fun thing is when you gets tons of tumbleweeds whipping across the 5, laying the smack down on cars. Tons of accidents, and it turns the 5 into a parking lot.

3 Likes

That is likely one of the greatest natural occurrences I have ever witnessed.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Albuquerque has been there, done that, and got the tumbleweed grinder truck.

13 Likes

Ooo. Think of the horror movie potential of that baby!

Maximum Overdrive 2: Tumble Boogaloo!

we had to devise a series of fingers that would direct it…

6 Likes

“Russian thistle” - must be part of a long-term conspiratzia…

3 Likes
4 Likes

That’s actually what we do in my hometown, and not just because they’re unsightly. If you burn them, you burn the seeds, too. The high-tech method used by the County Fairgrounds Committee is to fill an old spray bottle with gas and use a cigarette lighter to make a crude flamethrower.

For the botany nerds, tumbleweeds are Russian Thistles.
Russian Thistles

2 Likes

I was trying to read the license plate to see if that was my hometown fire department, but it was too grainy. The dirt of the road doesn’t ‘look right’ to be near our spawning point…

1 Like

This is my new go-to when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs.

3 Likes

Oh, my… appropriate and on the nose use of Respect the Wind, Alex & Eddie Van Halen, from the Twister soundtrack, end credits.

@RedFury - that video is from Rocky Mountain Arsenal, east of Denver, in 2014. It was a controlled burn. (Which isn’t necessarily top flight brains on display, since RMA is a Superfund site - chemical weapons & pesticides - and there’s still disagreement on how well they cleaned it up.)

This week’s dumb government fire is thanks to the jocks at Fort Carson doing live fire exercises in 85 mph winds east of Colorado Springs. The 5th fire they’ve started in the last 16 months.

3 Likes

Ha! Well, maybe they just misunderstood what was meant by ‘live fire’! “Like this, Boss?”

There’s no excuses for Castle Rock today, though…7 houses burned all the way up today.

1 Like

Okay, just saw a clip on the early news. The manager of a gas station in Thornton, CO strapped two wooden pallets to the front of a shopping cart to plow tumbleweeds out of his parking lot. I tried to get a link, but it’s ‘too new’.

1 Like

… El Paso & Douglas county are to blame. While pursuing their Galtian fantasies of permitting anything someone wants to build, they’ve failed to police the urban wildfire interface. There is so much sprawl along the I-25 corridor. If it weren’t for Greenland Ranch, I’m pretty sure there would be a 10 mile wide swath of tract housing from Parker Road to Fountain.

We’re going to have a Marin County and it’s likely to be this year. Snowpack was terrible, after a couple of relatively wet years, which means a lot of dry growth ready to burn, and the middle Front Range counties are still digging out from the cuts they made in 2009.

They complain about us People’s Republic types, but limited county land building permits mean that even when we burn (which we do), we can get everyone out.

2 Likes

Of all the people I’ve ever met from Castle Rock, I’ve never thought a single one of 'em wasn’t someone you just grimaced and tolerated until you could turn and roll your eyes. I’m sure there’s got to be someone decent in there, but man, they are lost in the noise.

Now, Boulder is the constant butt of my jokes, but I’ve met LOTS of Boulderinos I liked well enough I wouldn’t mind having to do them a favor.

1 Like

Sometimes, there’s a man, well, he’s the man for his time and place.

1 Like
7 Likes

I guess that kind of stuff is one of the many downsides of building a city in the middle of the desert ?

2 Likes

Freak Brothers, I haven’t seen them in a long time. Remember…Peed Skills!

1 Like