$tupid jewelry: Earring-card earring

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/31/tupid-jewelry-earring-card-e.html

1 Like

At least with the most recent one, the earring has the “readymade” look of an actual earring card. The earlier examples are clearly inspired by the idea of an earring card but they don’t commit. I respect the latest version in a contemporary-art way even while I think it’d be silly to buy it or wear it as an earring.

2 Likes

The model looks so happy.

1 Like

In my opinion it resembles a cattle ear tag:

It would be definitely met with confused looks in more rural areas.

23 Likes

No more stupid than people wearing hats with the price tags and labels still on, or branded clothes so they are literally walking adverts.

12 Likes

“Look at me! I go shopping!”

8 Likes

I usually go to the mountain erring page when I see this
otherwise love billy…

1 Like

The price is stupid, but it’s a brilliant gag. This really ought to be sold by a novelty shop.

Of course, if it’s not being worn as a joke, then yeah, it’s rather dumb.

If you really want to go for “shoplifter chic”, I think using a pair of anti-theft tags as earrings would be pretty rad.

16 Likes

Wii remotes for that Gamer vibe?

5 Likes

My favorite bartender wore little dildos on each ear while working, it was San Francisco, back when salt of the earth inhabited the city.

7 Likes

Minnie Pearl would like to have words with you.

18 Likes

I have no doubt she’ll see the funny side.

8 Likes

I followed the trail back to look at some of Stacy Huang’s work.
A small part of it is just brilliant,
a large part of it is the work in getting there, the thought experiments along the way.
Still, it’s a disgrace that she was ripped off,
she did the the theoretical and the practical work that led to the revelatory pieces, then a POS came along and said “I can prolly monetze this”

The irony, as far as I am concerned, is that they did not steal the culmanative* pieces, but the work along the way, lower down along the conceptual ladder, where she was still reaching.

*may not actually be a word but ykwim

2 Likes

It looks terrible and it’s uncomfortable! What’s not to like?

3 Likes

Dadaist, to say the least.

2 Likes

9 Likes

I was going to say that nobody better be coming for The Great Minnie Pearl, but you’re right. She WAS a comedian, and she knew what she was doing!

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to post this, given the right circumstances. Minnie Pearl is gleefully mentioned in the song (Punk Rock Girl):

7 Likes

“Shoplifter Chic”? Well no one ever accused the Fashion Industry of being classy or self-aware. Keep punching down, Fashionistas.

1 Like

I dunno know, looks kinda cute to me.