China is blurring men's earrings on TV

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/18/china-is-blurring-mens-earri.html

2 Likes

I keep thinking of the poor sod whose job it is to find all the earrings and put a blur circle over them. The censorship and surveillance industries are basically China’s version of lifetime full employment, aren’t they.

9 Likes

I thought blurry earrings were just a hot new fashion statement, kind of like those rectangular black swimsuits you sometimes see in news reporting about clothing-optional events.

11 Likes

I can’t wait for the upcoming controversial single from Ribin Thicke, “Blurred Earrings.”

4 Likes

Blur this…

13 Likes

Awwe! That’s so cute! I remember when earrings on men were considered shocking! It was about 35 years ago. Right meant gay, except in Boston where it was the other way round.

12 Likes

George Carlin had earrings on the list of things guys shouldn’t do anymore:

“Guys started wearing earring to piss of the squares. The squares are wearing them now!”

6 Likes

I thought guys started wearing earrings because they were salty tars?

3 Likes

makes me remember the old joke : a teenager comes home wearing an earring. His father immediately comments : “you’re wearing an earring, this means either you are a pirate, or you are gay. Let me warn you : I don’t want to see any ship in the front yard.”

7 Likes

I thought it was “I’d better see a ship in the driveway!”

2 Likes

It’s a variant. :smiley:

7 Likes

I used to blur my earring around my dad.
When I wore an earring and had a dad.

4 Likes

For members of a vanguard party they get so insecure over the pettiest things. One might conclude that their ideology isn’t as indomitable and free from internal contradictions as they claim.

11 Likes

Once you realize that in china male ear piercings are referred to as “ear nipples” it becomes clear… or blurry in this case. J/K

2 Likes

Glenn Baxter

Chen.
James Chen.
I like my fry stirred and my ears inscrutable.

I wonder if this decade will be seen as bit repressive, like the 1950s,and if there will be a rebound in the next decade.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear it’s been turned into a CAPTCHA: “Please select all photos showing religious jewelry, tattoos, or men with earrings and click the ‘Execute’ button to log in.”

2 Likes

This being BoingBoing I first misread like "China is Burning Man…

1 Like

7 Likes