Tupperware's party is over

Tricksy humans!

13 Likes

Beach side bonfires for oyster roasts and piaya?

7 Likes

Gives the phrase, “that amazing pitcher”, an entirely new context.

8 Likes

“Air tight sandwich”

4 Likes

I Guess If You Say So GIF by DreamWorks Animation

8 Likes

Tupperware products are very good, but so long as they are tied to their ‘independent distributor’ model, I will never buy anything from them. Just give me a online or brick-and-mortar store where I can buy one.

10 Likes

Same reason you close any Tupperware, to seal in the freshness.

16 Likes

My mother was a Tupperware dealer for decades - as I recall hearing the story, Tupperware was originally sold in stores, but only gained traction when they went to the party sales model so there were people to demonstrate how to use it and explain its higher price.

14 Likes

Rubbermaid was selling in stores since the 30’s, well before the concept of the big box stores. They did make sure they were IN the big box stores once those came around, however. Even in an avowed Tupperware household, we still had Rubbermaid products…

7 Likes

It’s very sad; another traditional brand will probably disappear to take up residence as a fixture of nostalgic YouTube videos.

I’ve never owned any Tupperware, I’ve been a stay-at-home wife since 1983 so I would be their prime target market, but I always bought kitchen stuff from actual shops, so Tupperware wasn’t an option I had…I’m not even aware of anyone I’ve ever known holding a Tupperware party, maybe I just don’t mix with the right people or I’m just slightly too young? It was definitely a thing in the UK (I used to know a woman who colllected it) but I don’t think it was ever as ‘all-conquering’ here.

I do wonder if the final nail in Tupperware’s coffin is the fear of harmful chemicals leaching from plastic containers into food? I updated all my food storage to glass about 10-12 years ago, and although I do still see plastic storage in local shops it isn’t widely offered as a food storage option.

Still sad though, my thoughts are with the people who are now frightened for their jobs…

11 Likes

This makes me sad because after a long and shameful stint with Ziploc bags, I’m getting back into high quality storage like Tupperware! I’m trying to reduce my waste to near zero, and washable food storage is a key component. I plan to buy a lot of containers soon, but I guess they won’t be Tupperware branded. Their stuff was good! I wonder what happened.

I dunno about that. For the reasons I listed above (I know I’m not alone in this) I think quality is coming back. The stores are chock full of plastic storage containers, just not Tupperware branded. I suspect corporate mismanagement more than the market going away. We tend to blame the latter when the former is usually the case.

A lot of tools still do, and being cheap is unrelated. They know you won’t actually bring it back anyway so it’s free marketing to say that. A lot of people don’t know that Harbor Freight tools, which are the cheapest of the cheap, have a lifetime guarantee. If you really want to, you can come back in every six months and replace the socket wrench that broke, for free (with another equally shitty one). Nobody actually does that though, because what a hassle. When it breaks, they go buy a better one.

You can also buy Snap On tools which also have a lifetime guarantee and will genuinely never break, but cost literally 100x as much. Quality still exists, but people refuse to pay for it. Everyone says they want quality products, but vote very differently with their wallets. We got the world we deserved.

16 Likes

that scene caused all vintage Tupperware in thrifts and antique stores to be snapped up immediately by every Instagrammer and TikTok “influencer” around, and then the show did it again with vintage Pyrex. i still can’t find good pieces to save my life. i just want a set so i can use them, is that too much to ask? stop making old stuff cool again, TV!

8 Likes

Old stuff will always be cool. Because only the well made stuff lasted and what lasted that’s crappy is “rare”.

10 Likes

FYI Pieces similar (or the same?) to the Mrs Maisel show sets are on sale right now:

3 Likes

You can’t find “good” glass storage containers? They’re widely available. Glass is glass, no? What was better about old Pyrex containers?

4 Likes

Pedigree?

4 Likes

Borosilicate glass is the new prestige glass.

7 Likes

I vaguely remember as a young kid in in the 70’s my parents going out all day, leaving my brother and I with an aunt. They came back with some plastic containers that we barely used.

OMG, I think my parents were swingers!!!

6 Likes

it’s not just the function, it’s STYLE, of course.

6 Likes

Ah, I see.

Not for me. Function is all i need. I don’t care what it looks like when it’s sitting in my cupboard, fridge or dishwasher.

3 Likes