Tupperware's party is over

Originally published at: Tupperware's party is over | Boing Boing

9 Likes

That’s a lot of exuberance for heirloom plastic. Sure it wasn’t a cover for a swing scene?

23 Likes
9 Likes

Just this morning a coworker pushing the Tupperware gospel. Another recommended transitioning to sex aid parties as she had years ago; sage advice I guess. Perhaps they should rebrand: Shtupperware ?

17 Likes

I’m worried about what will happen to the Tupperware Museum in Orlando. More recently known as the “Tupperware Confidence Center”. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/tupperware-confidence-center

We went there on our college spring break trip. It was wild.

10 Likes

Everyone had one of those, didn’t they…

I don’t see why they’d have to close… It looks amazing.

26 Likes

“Tupperware: For When You Want to Throw That Food Out in Two Months, Instead of Right Now!”

39 Likes

That stuff was really well made and lasts forever. But we live in the throw away world now. Your craftsman tools don’t even come with a lifetime guarantee- coach bags either.

Get off my balcony!

36 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

It’s like the 50s all over again, with it’s planned obsolescence - only on steroids!

13 Likes

via Marketwatch

The company’s website opens on an image from the Amazon Prime show “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” with the title character hosting her own party and showing friends a pastel-colored vintage line.

That direct-selling model is no longer fashionable in the U.S., although it has traction in markets like Indonesia, where women have limited earnings opportunities but often gather to eat and drink.

So, they are still focusing on the “stay at home woman”? No wonder they have become a bit behind the times.

9 Likes

Woah mercy, mercy me, yeah
Ah, things ain’t what they used to be (ain’t what they used to be)
Oil wasted on the ocean and upon our seas
Fish full of mercury

18 Likes

My friends house did. We had these freebie ones from the bank…

Huh - I think I bought one at one point at a thrift store so I could have one too… I wonder where that went off to.

6 Likes

I loves the product but hated the sales angle. It they’d set up pop-up stores, the kids would have bought them up like candy; fun retro shit doesn’t sit on shelves.

26 Likes

[quote=“KathyPartdeux, post:8, topic:246124”] it was the cheapest thing at the party.
That stuff was really well made and lasts forever.
[/quote]

Our preferred brand is Rubbermaid. It lasts as long as the T brand and often comes in more practical designs. Their bucket is in the National Museum of American History. :wink:

Some Tupperware products seem designed to be sold only at parties, like the dome-shaped half-onion container that my wife bought one time because it was the cheapest thing at the party and you have to buy something.

The projecting hook thingy is so you can hang it from the side of a shelf, saving…well almost no space really.

15 Likes

But what will Phranc think?

6 Likes

Rubbermaid was smart to enter the home goods market in big box stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Wallmart, etc. They tackled the utilitarian angle for market share. Tupperware could have easily done the same.

That is a nice bucket.

14 Likes

Im kinda the opposite, since i store things in pyrex instead, because I’m paranoid about eating microplastics. I mean, the tops are plastic, but at least the food is sitting in glass instead of plastic.

26 Likes

I am so stealing Shtupperware

6 Likes

How did people ever come up with turning sand into glass?

9 Likes

Um, I don’t know. How did they ever manage to harness fire? :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes