TV-B-Gone, the hidden-in-your-glasses edition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/07/screens-off.html

3 Likes

That’s today’s “wonderful thing” quota filled, thanks Cory!

Gotta love TV-B-Gones, the molotovs of the information age :fuelpump::cocktail:

4 Likes

Cool! I broke my old one and also need a pair of shades. Yay!

3 Likes

Perfect for your Fox News turning off occasions (of which there are far too many).

9 Likes

I am 100% in favor of this device.

Now we need something similar for leaf blowers…

5 Likes

On the topic, has anyone else noticed that TV’s in public have a tendency to get turned to Fox News? Hotel lobby’s, bars, student cafe’s, etc. Nobody ever is seen doing it, and rarely are people actually watching.

It feels like right wingers are trying to indoctrinate people. I’m not the only person who’s observed this.

11 Likes

After CNN started making long-term deals with airports years ago, right-wingers started complaining and News Corp saw an opportunity. A lot of the waiting rooms and bars showing Faux on their TVs are often being paid to do so.

As I recall, there are companies that will cover a portion of a business’s basic cable bill if the TV is tuned to a certain channel for a minimum number of hours per day. They push Fox News on doctors’ and dentists’ offices, ERs, retirement homes, and military PXs. It’s not about gaining new viewers but re-inforcing the habits of existing ones.

And then there are the business owners who show Fox without getting paid. Suckers.

10 Likes

“Hidden” as in people will think that giant lens in the nose bridge is a camera not an IR emitter. You’ll be disguised as a glasshole.

2 Likes

I think you meant to use this link instead: 10 awesome products that do more than just look cool - Boing Boing

4 Likes

I still have my modified version where I put on 30 LEDs for maximum impact. It was perfect for going into sports bars.

1 Like

Which will soon lead to the outlawing of these devices, since State TV is mandatory viewing, citizen.

4 Likes

I still haven’t seen one of these stuffed inside a toy Sonic Screwdriver yet… I think it should be doable?

5 Likes

I always wanted to figure out a sonic screwdriver TV-B-Gone, which would provide the extra lulz of using an imaginary tool from TV to zap TVs.

There was an officially-BBC-licensed sonic screwdriver universal remote made a while back, but it was stupidly expensive.

1 Like

Obligatory:

9 Likes

Came here for the They Live reference. Leaving satisfied…

z15

5 Likes

Couldn’t you get a plastic toy screwdriver and put it inside?

There is more and more TV screens used as advertising display, I’d be delighted if those glasses could switch them off !

Alas, I doubt these advertisements are using off-the-shelf TVs - more likely digital signage displays, which I’m guessing either don’t have an IR receiver at all, or can be configured to disable it.

1 Like

Yeah, sadly, someone on twitter too said to me they are more comparable to computer screens than TVs.
Someone should do a hackathon on those things !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.