Twitter bans journalist who reported on hack of right-wing pundit's Twitter account

Originally published at: Twitter bans journalist who reported on hack of right-wing pundit's Twitter account | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Surely being banned by twitter is a sign of journalistic integrity these days.

29 Likes

Showing, once again, that 2FA is usually meant to cover the ass of the organization, and not its users.

19 Likes

SIM-based 2FA is better than no 2FA, but people really should use authentication apps instead.

6 Likes

Not to be confused with Simp Swapping.

3 Likes

Really? It makes my phone a single point of failure for every site that offloads their security problems.

I prefer to use secure passwords, unique to each site.

7 Likes

… don’t use Twitter?

Seems like they did this journalist a favor

6 Likes

Does it? It only shows that a sufficiently motivated targeted attack will find a way.

1 Like

So, he’s banned as long as Musk runs Twitter, or as long as it stays operational? Penalty could be pretty brief.

4 Likes

I wish every site offered it! SIM-based TFA is nearly worthless now, long since compromised. However even major banks still don’t offer authentication app as an option. Grrr. :angry:

3 Likes

Unfortunately the majority of sites that work with 2FA authentication apps will allow you to bypass it if you have 2FA SIM access.

The overlords working on a post-password future are the cellphone companies, so I’m not optimistic about them resolving this conundrum anytime soon.

4 Likes

Yah, good point. If there’s a “I lost my app!” button that reverts to SIM TFA, then the app is rendered pointless. Sigh.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.